Nov 14, 2011, 7:19 PM EDT
US Presswire photo
Danny Espinosa's second-half slump cost him a shot at Rookie of the Year honors.
There was a point this summer when Danny Espinosa looked like the clear-cut favorite to win National League Rookie of the Year honors. But a second-half tailspin at the plate wound up costing the Nationals second baseman a shot at the Jackie Robinson Award and nearly left him off the final ballot altogether.
Espinosa wound up finishing sixth in voting conducted at the end of the regular season and announced today by the Baseball Writers' Association of America. Teammate Wilson Ramos, who enjoyed a strong rookie campaign himself, finished fourth.
Braves closer Craig Kimbrel (who led the league with 46 saves and 64 games finished) won the award, receiving all 32 possible first-place votes. His Atlanta teammate, first baseman Freddie Freeman, earned runner-up honors, after hitting .282 with 21 homers, 76 RBI and leading all NL rookies in hits, doubles and total bases.
Right-hander Vance Worley, who went 11-3 with a 3.01 ERA for the NLRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
x-Clinched division title
FRI: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Marlins, 1:10 p.m.
TUE: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
THU: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Gonzalez makes case for postseason start
- Bryce, Gio continue late-season surge in 6-2 win
- NL Playoff Outlook: What stars will give the Nationals trouble?
- LaRoche gets extra day off to rest ailing back
- Michael Jenkins takes walkoff pie to the face (VIDEO)
- Nats move on to Miami with Gio starting in hometown
- PHOTO: Kevin Durant rocks a Nats jersey
- UPDATE: Nats DFA Perez, claim Twins shortstop
- If healthy, Zimmerman should be in Nats lineup
- Post-clinch, Nationals rookies get chance to shine