Nov 14, 2011, 7:19 PM EDT
US Presswire photo
Danny Espinosa's second-half slump cost him a shot at Rookie of the Year honors.
There was a point this summer when Danny Espinosa looked like the clear-cut favorite to win National League Rookie of the Year honors. But a second-half tailspin at the plate wound up costing the Nationals second baseman a shot at the Jackie Robinson Award and nearly left him off the final ballot altogether.
Espinosa wound up finishing sixth in voting conducted at the end of the regular season and announced today by the Baseball Writers' Association of America. Teammate Wilson Ramos, who enjoyed a strong rookie campaign himself, finished fourth.
Braves closer Craig Kimbrel (who led the league with 46 saves and 64 games finished) won the award, receiving all 32 possible first-place votes. His Atlanta teammate, first baseman Freddie Freeman, earned runner-up honors, after hitting .282 with 21 homers, 76 RBI and leading all NL rookies in hits, doubles and total bases.
Right-hander Vance Worley, who went 11-3 with a 3.01 ERA for the NLRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
Through Monday's games
NL PLAYOFFS STANDINGS
y-Clinched playoff berth
Through Monday's games
TUE: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
THU: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
FRI: Marlins at Nats (DH), 1:05 p.m., 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Marlins at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Marlins at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
(End of regular season)
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Span leaves Tuesday's game with possible injury
- Division champ Nats come home for final week
- Zimmermann may be pushed back a day with bruised shoulder
- Zimmerman sits out vs. Mets after feeling soreness over weekend
- Around the NL East: Big offseasons ahead
- Predicting who makes the Nationals' playoff roster
- Yankees claim former Nats OF prospect off waivers
- State of the Nats: Final week before playoffs brings tough decisions
- Braves fire GM Frank Wren after missing playoff
- Report: Braves likely to make 'significant' changes this winter