Nov 15, 2011, 1:43 PM EST
US Presswire file photo
Derek Norris needs to be added to the 40-man roster or risk being lost.
It's that time of year again when major-league clubs must do some roster maintenance. By Friday, all teams must add any players who are eligible for the Rule 5 draft to their 40-man roster, or risk losing them during the draft at next month's winter meetings.
Who's eligible for the Rule 5 draft? It's a bit complicated, but as a general rule of thumb, it's anyone not on the 40-man roster who was signed at age 18 or older in 2007 or signed at age 19 or older in 2008. The idea is to prevent organizations from stashing away prospects in the minors for four or five years without so much as giving them a shot at reaching the big leagues.
So, by Friday the Nationals must decide if there are any players who fit that description in their farm system that they want to protect. Just because someone's left unprotected, it doesn't mean they're guaranteed to be lost. It only means they're eligible to be swooped up by another organization in the Rule 5 draft (with that new team thenRead more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals sign Uggla to minor-league deal
- Significant moment No. 6: Nats win 10 in a row
- Jimmy Rollins: Phillies have missed Werth since he signed with Nats
- Significant moment No. 7: Williams benches Harper
- Significant moment No. 8: Span breaks hit record
- Nats sign veteran infielder Stewart to minor deal
- Ex-Nats pitcher Haren really doesn't want to pitch for the Marlins
- Significant moment No. 9: Soriano out, Storen in
- Nats sign veteran Heath Bell to minor-league deal
- Report: Phillies may target Cabrera to replace Rollins