Nov 18, 2011, 12:44 AM EST
Knorr, 43, has held a variety of coaching roles in the Nationals organization over the last seven seasons, including managerial stints at low-Class A Savannah, high-Class A Potomac, Class AA Harrisburg and, most recently, Class AAA Syracuse. He also served as the Nationals’ bullpen coach for the second half of the 2006 season and for all of the 2009 season.
The former big-league catcher, who spent 19 seasons with five organizations, knows the Nationals’ system well and has coached 75 percent of the players on the team’s current 40-man roster.
In seeking a new bench coach to replace Pat Corrales, who at age 70 will remain with the Nationals in an advisory role, general manager Mike Rizzo said he preferred to hire someone who could some day
COUNTDOWN TO OPENING DAY
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Zimmerman passes first test at first base
- Rendon reflects on first full pro season
- Giants lose Hunter Pence to significant injury
- Scherzer "happy" with first start of spring
- Braves' starter to see Dr. James Andrews about injury
- New addition scratched from Nationals debut
- Scherzer debuts as Nats open exhibition play
- Mets' Wheeler: 'I guarantee you we all saw what Bryce Harper said'
- After a trying year, Gwynn Jr. tries to come back
- Nationals players excited to see pitching staff in action