Nov 18, 2011, 9:34 PM EST
The Nationals have re-claimed Cole Kimball from Toronto off waivers, two days after losing the right-hander in a similar roster move. They also added catcher Derek Norris, first baseman Tyler Moore, outfielder Eury Perez and catcher Jhonatan Solano to their 40-man roster, protecting all four from being taken in next month's Rule 5 draft.
The bizarre string of transactions that brought Kimball back to D.C. came after the Blue Jays picked up another pitcher, right-hander Andrew Carpenter, off waivers from the Padres. Needing to clear a spot on their 40-man roster for Carpenter, they placed Kimball on waivers in an attempt to outright him to Class AAA.
But the Nationals rushed in and re-claimed Kimball, a move that immediately puts the injured reliever back on their 40-man roster hours before all clubs needed to submit a finalized, offseason list to Major League Baseball.
Kimball had surgery in July to repair a torn rotator cuff and won't be ready to pitch again until mid-2012. Knowing that, the NationalsRead more »
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals prospect spotlight: Trea Turner
- Bud Black joins Angels after missing out on Nats' manager job
- Baseball in the District – How will Nats rebuild their bullpen?
- Nats bring Henley back as third base coach
- Nats roster review: Matt Thornton
- Report: Nats interested in trading Papelbon and Storen
- Is O'Day worth the price tag to the Nationals?
- Nationals roster review: Aaron Barrett
- Nats sign pair of veterans to minor-league deals
- Rizzo happy to bring reliever Sean Burnett back to Nats