Nov 21, 2011, 11:00 AM EDT
US Presswire photo
Ian Desmond's OBP was .298, but it jumped to .342 after he started leading off.
With news over the weekend that the Indians are close to re-signing Grady Sizemore, the field of available center fielders is about to shrink by one. Not that the Nationals were going hard after Sizemore, but the 29-year-old did look like a possible fit for a club that is seeking a center fielder who ideally can lead off.
But the key word there is "ideally." General manager Mike Rizzo has stated his preference is kill two birds with one stone, but his 2012 center fielder doesn't have to also hit leadoff. Certainly, B.J. Upton — whose name has been mentioned plenty as a possible Rizzo target — doesn't fit the profile of a classic leadoff hitter.
So the question then becomes: If the center fielder doesn't bat atop the Nationals' lineup, who else might?
Scanning their projected starting lineup, there aren't a whole lot of attractive options. Danny Espinosa did lead off some last season, but the rookie second baseman was dreadful up there, and his power andRead more »
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Report: Nats to interview former manager of year for open job
- Report: Former Nats player to interview for open manager job
- Mets, Cubs aim to clinch NLCS berths as playoffs continue
- Report: Nats interviewed former All-Star for manager position
- Nationals roster review: Michael Taylor
- Trio of Nats coaches will remain in organization
- MLB Playoffs continue with 4 Division Series games
- Roster review: Bryce Harper
- Important offseason dates to consider for the Nationals
- Ripken on Nats manager job: 'I'd answer the phone'