Dec 1, 2011, 12:00 PM EDT
US Presswire photo
Laynce Nix was one of several Nationals who struggled as pinch-hitters this year.
For all the attention we've given so far this offseason to the Nationals' desire to acquire a veteran starting pitcher and a starting center fielder, we should be careful not to overlook another roster dynamic desperately in need of a major upgrade: The bench.
It may not seem as important as a deep rotation or a bolstered lineup, but there's no portion of the Nationals' roster that needs more improvement than its bench. Don't believe that? Have you looked at the numbers from this season?
Nationals pinch-hitters batted a collective .186 (38-for-204). And that's not even the most pathetic stat associated with that role. Those same pinch-hitters combined to drive in 14 runs (fewest in the NL) while producing a whopping five extra-base hits for the season (leading to a .240 slugging percentage).
Having trouble coming to grips with those anemic numbers? Wait, it gets even worse.
Let's look only at the five batters who were most-often called upon by Jim Riggleman and Davey Johnson in pinch-hitting situations: MattRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Advice from teammates helps Gio get back on track vs. Phillies
- Anthony Rendon to take big step forward in rehab this week
- Strong Gio start secures another series win for Nats
- Nationals aim for another series win against Philly
- Still no answer for Strasburg's woes
- Strasburg rocked again during ugly 8-1 loss to Phillies
- Roark ready for Monday start in Chicago
- Strasburg tries to keep Nats rolling vs. Phillies
- Pitch, hit and run: Scherzer does it all in win
- Nats 2, Phillies 1: Harper homers, Scherzer dominates