Dec 2, 2011, 12:00 PM EDT
US Presswire photo
Heath Bell just signed a three-year, $27 million contract with the Marlins.
When Jeffrey Loria insisted earlier this fall he would be opening up his checkbook in an attempt to lure anyone and everyone to his newly renamed Miami Marlins franchise, skeptics questioned whether the blustery owner would actually stay true to his word.
Well, it certainly looks like he is. The Marlins appear to be serious about making a big-time splash this winter.
First came the hiring of Ozzie Guillen as manager, then recruiting trips to South Florida by some of the biggest names on the free agent market: Albert Pujols, Jose Reyes, Mark Buehrle. Then last night, the Marlins consummated their first significant deal of the offseason, inking closer Heath Bell to a three-year, $27 million contract.
Now, you can question the wisdom of shelling out $27 million for a 34-year-old closer who just posted the lowest strikeout numbers (7.3Read more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
MON: Nats at Braves, 7:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Braves, 7:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Braves, 7:10 p.m.
THU: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Marlins, 1:10 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals lower magic number to four, top Mets
- Nationals try to finish off Mets in series finale
- Harper, Desmond star in Nats 10-3 win over Mets
- Fister looks to stay perfect against Mets tonight
- Nats can't climb out of early hole, fall to Mets 4-3
- Nationals shoot for 13th straight win at Citi Field
- The Baseball Show: Are Nats finally over the Braves (VIDEO)
- Two Nationals players plunked by Colon in 6-2 win
- Desmond, Rendon back in Nationals' lineup
- MLB Power Rankings: Brewers falling hard