Dec 4, 2011, 11:25 PM EDT
US Presswire photo
Laynce Nix hit .250 with 16 homers for the Nationals this year.
DALLAS — Just arrived at the Anatole Hotel for the Winter Meetings, and was immediately greeted with news of the Phillies coming to terms with Laynce Nix on a two-year contract (according to my colleague Jim Salisbury of CSNphilly.com).
Financial terms haven't been reported yet, but money isn't the key to this deal. The fact Philadelphia was willing to give Nix two years is the key detail here.
The 31-year-old outfielder had never signed a major-league contract before, let alone a multi-year deal. He came to the Nationals late last winter on a minor-league contract that wound up paying him $700,000 after he made the Opening Day roster.
Nix proved a valuable player for the Nats, ultimately batting .250 with 16 homers and 44 RBI in 124 games. Projected all along to come offRead more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Zimmermann gives up first run as Nats split squad loses 2-1
- Nats acquire IF Brandon Laird from Royals
- Zimmermann, Gio pitch in Nats split-squad games
- Wainwright wants Bryce Harper to take it easy on him (VIDEO)
- Strasburg, Fernandez face off as Marlins host Nats
- Nats owner Mark Lerner on the Wizards’ broadcast (VIDEO)
- Braves fear both Medlen and Beachy need Tommy John
- Nats' Jordan takes on fearsome Tigers lineup
- Mets Wheeler admits it's hard not to think about 2015
- The Baseball Show: How good will Bryce Harper be in 2014?