Dec 4, 2011, 11:25 PM EDT
US Presswire photo
Laynce Nix hit .250 with 16 homers for the Nationals this year.
DALLAS — Just arrived at the Anatole Hotel for the Winter Meetings, and was immediately greeted with news of the Phillies coming to terms with Laynce Nix on a two-year contract (according to my colleague Jim Salisbury of CSNphilly.com).
Financial terms haven't been reported yet, but money isn't the key to this deal. The fact Philadelphia was willing to give Nix two years is the key detail here.
The 31-year-old outfielder had never signed a major-league contract before, let alone a multi-year deal. He came to the Nationals late last winter on a minor-league contract that wound up paying him $700,000 after he made the Opening Day roster.
Nix proved a valuable player for the Nats, ultimately batting .250 with 16 homers and 44 RBI in 124 games. Projected all along to come offRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
FRI: Nats at Reds, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Reds, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Reds, 1:10 p.m.
MON: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Marlins, 12:40 p.m.
THU: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Power Rankings: Which MLB stadium is the best?
- MLB Power Rankings: Nats trending up after big week
- 'Baseball in the District' - Bob Nightengale and Matt Skole
- Nationals Stock Watch: Strasburg's road struggles continue
- Aaron Barrett wins patriotic staring contest before Nats-Rockies game
- Depleted lineup can't complete sweep over Rockies in 6-4 loss
- Zimmerman placed on DL with hamstring strain
- Kevin Durant channels Werth, LaRoche in 'beard gang' photo
- Strasburg tries to pitch depleted Nats to sweep
- Nationals have to deal with latest Zimmerman injury