Dec 4, 2011, 11:25 PM EDT
US Presswire photo
Laynce Nix hit .250 with 16 homers for the Nationals this year.
DALLAS — Just arrived at the Anatole Hotel for the Winter Meetings, and was immediately greeted with news of the Phillies coming to terms with Laynce Nix on a two-year contract (according to my colleague Jim Salisbury of CSNphilly.com).
Financial terms haven't been reported yet, but money isn't the key to this deal. The fact Philadelphia was willing to give Nix two years is the key detail here.
The 31-year-old outfielder had never signed a major-league contract before, let alone a multi-year deal. He came to the Nationals late last winter on a minor-league contract that wound up paying him $700,000 after he made the Opening Day roster.
Nix proved a valuable player for the Nats, ultimately batting .250 with 16 homers and 44 RBI in 124 games. Projected all along to come offRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
NL WILD CARD STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Desmond posts letter to Nationals fans on Twitter
- Miami to adjust dimensions at Marlins Park
- Astros, Yankees kick off playoffs in AL Wild Card game
- Time for Nationals to find a long-term manager
- Were the Nationals patient enough with Williams as manager?
- Nats begin search for their next manager
- A rocky two years: Matt Williams' tenure as Nats manager
- Cross Scioscia off list of potential Nats manager candidates
- Rizzo on firing Williams as manager: 'A tough day'
- Nats leaning toward manager with experience