Dec 4, 2011, 11:25 PM EDT
US Presswire photo
Laynce Nix hit .250 with 16 homers for the Nationals this year.
DALLAS — Just arrived at the Anatole Hotel for the Winter Meetings, and was immediately greeted with news of the Phillies coming to terms with Laynce Nix on a two-year contract (according to my colleague Jim Salisbury of CSNphilly.com).
Financial terms haven't been reported yet, but money isn't the key to this deal. The fact Philadelphia was willing to give Nix two years is the key detail here.
The 31-year-old outfielder had never signed a major-league contract before, let alone a multi-year deal. He came to the Nationals late last winter on a minor-league contract that wound up paying him $700,000 after he made the Opening Day roster.
Nix proved a valuable player for the Nats, ultimately batting .250 with 16 homers and 44 RBI in 124 games. Projected all along to come offRead more »
NLDS: NATIONALS VS. GIANTS
SAT: Game 2 at Washington, 5:37 p.m. (FS1)
MON: Game 3 at San Francisco, TBA (MLBN)
TUE: Game 4 at San Francisco, TBA (FS1)*
THU: Game 5 at Washington, TBA (FS1)*
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals draw Giants in NLDS after Wild Card win
- Braves' hitting coach resigns after trying season
- Game thread: Giants-Pirates battle to face Nats in NLDS
- Former Nats slugger Adam Dunn still plans to retire
- Giants or Pirates: who should Nats prefer to play in NLDS?
- How the '14 Nats are better than the '12 Nats
- Royals beat A's 9-8 in 12 in AL wild-card thriller
- 'Now the fun begins' - Nats enter postseason on a roll
- Game thread: Who will advance in AL Wild Card game?
- Bryce Harper to play showcase in Japan after MLB playoffs