Riggleman to manage Reds’ AA club

Dec 5, 2011, 12:07 AM EDT

US Presswire photo
Jim Riggleman goes from a big-league manager to a Class AA skipper.

DALLAS — Though Jim Riggleman's midseason resignation from the Nationals over a contract dispute severely damaged his reputation, the former manager does have his share of supporters around the game.

So while Riggleman's chances of managing in the big leagues again are slim, he will get an opportunity to manage again in 2012. In the minors.

The Reds have hired Riggleman as skipper of the Class AA Pensacola Blue Wahoos, a source close to the 59-year-old confirmed this evening.

The gig obviously represents a significant demotion for someone with 1,486 games of major-league managing experience, but it's still aRead more »

1. Section 222 - Dec 5, 2011 at 12:20 AM

{crickets chirping}

2. waddu eye no - Dec 5, 2011 at 12:24 AM

a gig is a gig

3. The Great Unwashed - Dec 5, 2011 at 12:44 AM

So is it longer than a one year deal? Just sayin'.

4. Anonymous - Dec 5, 2011 at 12:59 AM

I'm actually more surprised someone named a baseball team "Blue Wahoos." I'm sure it has some relevance to the Pensacola area, but for 99 percent of the country, that's a yikes …

5. SonnyG10 - Dec 5, 2011 at 1:11 AM

At least he has a gig, though it's quite a comedown. I'm glad he found something because I thought he was a nice guy. But I'm disappointed in him for quitting on the Nats in mid-season.

6. Anonymous - Dec 5, 2011 at 1:22 AM

Nix signed with the Phils, Reyes is probably signing with the fish – does anybody ever sign with a team that is NOT in our division??? You know they are both going to kill us.

7. Anonymous - Dec 5, 2011 at 1:34 AM

This is a mercy job from the Reds. Riggleman is done as a major league manager.

8. Anonymous - Dec 5, 2011 at 1:47 AM

Ladson: I have confirmed that the Nats made an offer to LHP Mark Buehrle. Not sure of the dollar figures. RHP Roy Oswalt still in the mix.

9. Anonymous - Dec 5, 2011 at 1:48 AM

Bill Ladson: I was also informed that Prince Fielder is not a target for the #Nats. They already have Adam LaRoche and Michael Morse at first base.

10. Dawn - Dec 5, 2011 at 2:29 AM

Good for him, he had a choice whether he wanted to manage or not and he chooses to accept this position. The kids will be lucky to have him and his experience.

11. John C. - Dec 5, 2011 at 2:31 AM

MLB Network reporting that the Marlins have signed Jose Reyes for six years, $112 million. $18.67 million a year for Reyes? I’m very glad the Nationals didn’t do that deal. No, thanks.

12. MicheleS - Dec 5, 2011 at 2:43 AM

John C.. and on the same report.. Hanley is NOT happy.. Good! I hope it's a powder keg down in Miami!

13. Big Cat - Dec 5, 2011 at 3:01 AM

That Southern League is one hot,muggy league. Good luck to you Sad Man. I think Stairs is available as a DH.

14. Anonymous - Dec 5, 2011 at 3:06 AM

"If I don't get my salary bumped up to $2000 a month, I'm not gettin on that bus to Chatanooga!!"

15. Just sayin' - Dec 5, 2011 at 3:50 AM

Speaking of the Marlins (who have just signed Jose Reyes, apparently), this is quite interesting:http://bats.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/12/03/54935/?ref=baseballThe title: "S.E.C. Subpoenas Details on Marlins’ Stadium Financing"And the S.E.C. that issued the subpoenas was not the Southeastern Conference…

16. SmartyPants - Dec 5, 2011 at 3:51 AM

Now that Stan Kasten is a credentialed member of the media at the Dallas meetings, maybe he will try to interview Mark Lerner!

17. Section 222 - Dec 5, 2011 at 4:06 AM

Can we trade for Hanley? I'm really not looking forward to having Ian Desmond and his .298 OBP at SS next year.

18. Exposremains - Dec 5, 2011 at 4:15 AM

Sect 222: but he's a great leader….

19. MikeD - Dec 5, 2011 at 5:39 AM

New team new stadium on the water beach town. There are worse gigs we are pretty excited About the team moving here. I'm excited about Riggs coming, pretty cool addition. Wahoo!

20. baseballswami - Dec 5, 2011 at 11:31 AM

I always thought that Riggs was a strong teacher. He always seemed to be the guy brought in to pick up the pieces of someone else's mess. I wish him well.

21. Anonymous - Dec 5, 2011 at 11:48 AM

There are a hundred old veteran minor league guys coaching in the minors. Still riding the buses in hope of getting a shot at the "The Show." They would give their right arm for the shot that Riggleman got. And he threw it all down the tubes in a paranoid temper tantrum.

22. Slidell - Dec 5, 2011 at 11:51 AM

On another very interesting topic: AP says Reyes is going to the Marlins; $106m for 6yrs.

23. natsfan1a - Dec 5, 2011 at 12:55 PM

To expand on the thoughts of sec 222:{tumbleweeds tumbling}

24. Anonymous - Dec 5, 2011 at 1:02 PM

Papelbon, Bell, Reyes, Nix – things just are not going to be any easier, are they?

25. ntscan reduxit - Dec 5, 2011 at 1:39 PM

… and on another front, there's this: http://on.wsj.com/vasINW. … take that, Loria and Samson. Couldn't happen to a more deserving pair of carpetbaggers.Go Nats!!

26. Unkyd - Dec 5, 2011 at 1:49 PM

1A: ;-)

27. Nattydread - Dec 5, 2011 at 1:51 PM

Gotta love that career path. June 2011: 11/12 wins, the Nats on a roll, putting himself for a managing job in 2012 (if not DC somewhere).Dec 2011 (6 months later): AA coach in Pensacola. Ouch.

28. Anonymous - Dec 5, 2011 at 1:55 PM

Riggleman's quitting was some paranoid temper tantrum? Uhhmm, no. He walked away from money and a hard to come by job over principle. Riggleman was right to quit, in my mind, and it was his right, an objective right, to quit. The only temper tantrums are from folks who have a problem with it, Rizzo included. And post Riggleman's "career suicide" as Zuck called it he's now been hired by 2 clubs in less than a year so he's likely not feeling as if his reputation is shattered.dfh21

29. jd - Dec 5, 2011 at 2:21 PM

dfh21, Oh yeah, that's a great career situation to be in at 59 years of age starting again at AA. I agree that was a brilliant move by Riggleman.

30. Anonymous - Dec 5, 2011 at 2:23 PM

dfh21, well said.

31. Sec 3, My Sofa - Dec 5, 2011 at 2:33 PM

AA managers are important in an organization's development process–these are their best prospects. He may or may not be back in the majors someday, but if he is to do so, this will be a good place to stay relevant until the right opening comes along.

32. Anonymous - Dec 5, 2011 at 2:37 PM

jd — It is not a question of whether you or anyone else thinks Riggleman made a bad career move. Riggleman knew he was walking away from a managerial gig and he knew it would be hard to get another one (he went 9 years between managing gigs before), he thought the siutation not tolerable so he quit. He had a right to quit. It's his life. You or I may not have made the call he made, but so what.dfh21

33. Sec 3, My Sofa - Dec 5, 2011 at 2:38 PM

In fact, how about a pool on where he *does* manage in the majors again, if he does? Early favorites might be Miama after Ozzie blows up, or the Mets, just because they are the Mets.

34. Unkyd - Dec 5, 2011 at 2:42 PM

(tips hat, to dfh21….)

35. Anonymous - Dec 5, 2011 at 2:44 PM

I am thinking he'ss be a bench coach in 2013, say in SF maybe, or the Mets, likely an NL club. And when the manager he's workign with gets axed, Riggleman is back at the helm. Look at history, Francona, Torre, McNamarra, LaRussa, Leyland . . . guys who have doen get chancers to do it again. His odds are as good as anyone's to land a manager job going forward. The Nats looked like cheap idiots for not picking up his option after they extended Rizzo for 5 years and left Riggleman hanging, they could have picked up the option and still fired the guy in the off-season and owed him a whopping $600K for his trouble but they were not ready to make than kind of commitment to a manager winning games with their lousy club. Fools.

36. Anonymous - Dec 5, 2011 at 2:47 PM

I will not quit when I am, shockingly, seemingly ahead in NI. This is about the point where I start typing really stupid stuff. Have a great day all.Go Nats!dfh21

37. Steve M. - Dec 5, 2011 at 2:53 PM

The Marlins were actually true to their word on expanding payroll and getting a frontline player in Reyes. I am very surprised. If it helps them sell a few dozen luxury suites then the strategy will pay-off. If they can't figure out a way to increase their revenues substantially, it could kill them down the road.Now the interesting part will be how Hanley Ramirez is handled. Does Hanley move to 3rd base or to another team?I am hearing the Nats have some interest in Michael Cuddyer. He certainly isn't a CF but could play RF. I hope the Nats pounce on Buehrle sooner than later to get the first big move done.

38. Knoxville Nat - Dec 5, 2011 at 3:49 PM

No inside knowledge but the bottom line in my opinion is Riggleman was never Rizzo's guy. Manny Acta was the one who brought Jim to DC at a time when Bowden, who was still the GM, wanted to bring in Willie Randolph. Rizzo was an assistant to Bowden until that whole Dominican thing blew up in Jimbo's face and Rizzo got the interim tag on his title. When the Nats decided to fire Acta in July 2009 Riggs was the logical guy on the staff to replace him and Rizzo "rewarded" him, after kicking a few tires for another manager, with a series of what amounts to one year contracts, i.e., little job security in a business that most everyone involved in is seeking. When Rizzo brought DJ in as an "advisor" for spring training I think Jim saw the handwriting on the wall…"you're not really my guy so get off to a slow start and we will replace you." When the Nats got to the start they did Rizzo could not make a move to Johnson nor did he have a reason to do so. At the same time Riggleman says "hey lets talk about my contract", Rizzo says no and Jim says "..know what, if I'm not your guy for next year or 2013 I'm not your guy for right now. Take this job and shove it." Career suicide maybe, but I respect Jim Riggleman for sticking up for his principles.

39. Golfersal - Dec 5, 2011 at 6:37 PM

I tell you, this is the biggest mystery of baseball. It's like making a choice, either you get a million dollars or you become cluster nun? In most cases that's an easy decision but Riggelman wants to make things tough on himself. Hope he enjoys the lifestyle of class AA baseball, just another case of someone that tries to shot himself and instead of dying just cripples himself.

40. Sec 3, My Sofa - Dec 5, 2011 at 7:53 PM

What's a cluster nun?

41. natsfan1a - Dec 5, 2011 at 8:22 PM

Yeah, I was wondering about that, too.

42. Anonymous - Dec 7, 2011 at 7:14 AM

no matter how much the NATS screwed him over, which i think they def did… he deserves every minute of what he's getting… as a manager you dont quit on your players period… if you do, you're not fit to be a manager.