Dec 5, 2011, 7:56 PM EDT
US Presswire photo
Roger Bernadina faces an uncertain future with the Nationals.
DALLAS — A year ago at this time, Roger Bernadina appeared to figure into the Nationals' plans, both in the short- and long-term. The talented-but-inconsistent outfielder was at worst going to serve as part of a platoon in left field with Michael Morse and perhaps wind up as the everyday center fielder.
One year later, Bernadina's future with the Nationals looks murky. He's still on the 40-man roster and he's still under team control at a minimum salary level — he just barely missed qualifying for "Super 2" arbitration status — but no one's talking about him as a potential starter in left or center fields. And he's not really being discussed much as an option off the bench, with Davey Johnson pushing for more offensively minded players in that role than athletic, defensive specialists.
So why is Bernadina still on the roster? Because he remains a good insurance policy for the Nationals in case something else happens. If they fail to land a starting center fielder, it would be nice to have Bernadina available. If Adam LaRoche's shoulder isn't healed and Morse has to move back to first base, you'd like to still have Bernadina as an option in left field.
The problem is that the Nationals can't just hang onto Bernadina forever as a fallback plan. He's going to be out of options in 2012, so ifRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Robinson's seventh-inning homer good enough for 2-1 win
- Gonzalez heads to the mound to start series vs. Giants
- Williams got Division Series out of mind quickly
- MLB Power Rankings: Nats, Astros making a push
- Wacky way for Scherzer to take another loss
- Scherzer goes distance, but controversial call hands Nats loss
- Scherzer looks to keep historic run going
- Warning: Harper's Body Issue cover will make you blush
- Nats sign 1st significant Latin prospect in years
- Around the NL East: Phillies hire MacPhail to help rebuild effort