Dec 5, 2011, 7:56 PM EDT
US Presswire photo
Roger Bernadina faces an uncertain future with the Nationals.
DALLAS — A year ago at this time, Roger Bernadina appeared to figure into the Nationals' plans, both in the short- and long-term. The talented-but-inconsistent outfielder was at worst going to serve as part of a platoon in left field with Michael Morse and perhaps wind up as the everyday center fielder.
One year later, Bernadina's future with the Nationals looks murky. He's still on the 40-man roster and he's still under team control at a minimum salary level — he just barely missed qualifying for "Super 2" arbitration status — but no one's talking about him as a potential starter in left or center fields. And he's not really being discussed much as an option off the bench, with Davey Johnson pushing for more offensively minded players in that role than athletic, defensive specialists.
So why is Bernadina still on the roster? Because he remains a good insurance policy for the Nationals in case something else happens. If they fail to land a starting center fielder, it would be nice to have Bernadina available. If Adam LaRoche's shoulder isn't healed and Morse has to move back to first base, you'd like to still have Bernadina as an option in left field.
The problem is that the Nationals can't just hang onto Bernadina forever as a fallback plan. He's going to be out of options in 2012, so ifRead more »
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Phillies could hire MLB's first female general manager
- October madness: All 4 MLB division playoff series in action
- After a disappointing 2015, what's next for the Nats?
- Both AL Division Series get started on Thursday
- ‘Baseball in the District’ – Mark Zuckerman on a big offseason
- What was the turning point for the 2015 Nationals?
- What went wrong for the Nationals in 2015?
- Desmond posts letter to Nationals fans on Twitter
- Miami to adjust dimensions at Marlins Park
- Astros, Yankees kick off playoffs in AL Wild Card game