Skip to content

Davey: LaRoche "100 percent right now"

Dec 6, 2011, 12:19 AM EDT

US Presswire photo
Adam LaRoche missed most of last season with a torn labrum in his left shoulder.

DALLAS — Adam LaRoche has fully recovered from the shoulder tear that sidelined him the majority of the season.

Nationals manager Davey Johnson said today the veteran first baseman is ready to go now and will be able to participate fully when spring training opens in mid-February.

"The word I got is he's 100 percent right now," Johnson said during his media session at the Winter Meetings. "He's feeling great. I'm sure he'll come down early [to spring training] and get after it."

LaRoche appeared in a career-low 43 games this season, batting a career-worst .172 with three homers and 15 RBI, before succumbing to the torn labrum that had hampered him since spring training. Already signed for $8 million in 2012, the 32-year-old will enter campRead more ยป

  1. Gonat - Dec 6, 2011 at 12:25 AM

    Jerry Hairston to the Dodgers for 2 years.

  2. Kevin Rusch, Section 406 - Dec 6, 2011 at 12:27 AM

    Mark,Have you heard anything about Jerry Hairston? He was a pretty good pickup last year, both as a bench guy, and he was a much more capable fill-in for Zimm than we could have expected.

  3. natsfan1a - Dec 6, 2011 at 12:34 AM

    Evidently (per MLB Trade Rumors) Hairston signed with the Dodgers.

  4. SCNatsFan - Dec 6, 2011 at 1:19 AM

    I know I am in the minority but I like LaRoche and feel if he's healthy he's a huge boost to the infield as well as the offense. I'm also high on Detwiler and think if we sign any of the 3 starters we are aiming for then I can't see him being here; I'd be comfortable with Detwiler/Milone/Peacock as long as we got someone to play CF for us.

  5. sjm308 - Dec 6, 2011 at 2:43 AM

    SCNats: I am totally with you on LaRoche and have been for some time. Its amazing how many "experts" seem to forget his numbers for the 5 or 6 years before his injury. Even while injured, he played the best first base I have seen in some time and if he gets back to 25 hr, 90+rbi and that defense, I don't see why we need to trade him. We also have him for an additional year I believe. Morse can play 1b when there is a tough lefty and I like the idea that Tyler Moore is a step away in Syr.

  6. DL in VA - Dec 6, 2011 at 2:53 AM

    I think this comment I posted probably fits better on this thread.Here's how I see it: how many players on the Nats staff are on their way to the Hall of Fame? Currently? None. (With the caveat that if Strasburg lives up to his stated potential, then he is likely the one.) I love Zimmerman, but I don't see him as a hall contender. At least not yet. But I know this: Adam LaRoche is not going to the Hall.Prince Fielder is going to the Hall someday. And he's going to go wearing the uniform of the team that signs him this winter. THAT TEAM SHOULD BE US, and we all know that the Nats are one of the few teams in the league that could actually do it. Some team (Milwaukee?) will need LaRoche if we sign Fielder. I say we spend the money. I know I'm pretty likely to buy a season ticket if we do.PS: in other news, MLB Trade Rumors is now reporting that the NATS were the team that offered C.J. Wilson 6 years.

  7. Sunderland - Dec 6, 2011 at 10:49 AM

    Ask Mark Z a question, and in 38 minutes he posts a thorough response.How much does it cost to subscribe to this site?*****************************Mark Z – any word from or about LaRoche and where he is at with his rehab?Wondering December 5, 2011 6:41 PM

  8. natsfan1a - Dec 6, 2011 at 12:24 PM

    There was a subscription option back in the day when Mark launched this site, but there hasn't been one since he was hired by CSN.

  9. Will - Dec 6, 2011 at 1:04 PM

    Prince Fielder is nothing more than a very good 1B. That's not Hall of Fame material. The 10 most comparable players to Fielder are:Eddie Murray, Juan Gonzalez, Jose Canseco, Mark Teixeira, Greg Luzinski, Darryl Strawberry, Kent Hrbek, Boog Powell, Jim Rice andOrlando Cepeda.That's 3 HOFs, and 7 players who were basically out of baseball by age 34. I think that's a pretty fair assumption- 30% chance Fielder becomes a HOF type player, and 70% he's out of baseball in 6 years.It makes little sense to throw $200mil at such odds, especially when you have a players who is nearly as good, but for about 50 times cheaper (Morse).

  10. Feel Wood - Dec 6, 2011 at 1:08 PM

    Prince Fielder is going to the Hall someday. And he's going to go wearing the uniform of the team that signs him this winter.He would look kind of funny standing in the ticket line wearing full uniform, wouldn't he? HoF for Fielder is no lock. Look at baseball-reference.com. Of the 10 similar batters to Fielder through age 27, only three are in the HoF. (Eddie Murray, Jim Rice, Orlando Cepeda) And in the top 10 list of similar batters to Fielder, we find one Adam LaRoche, who you have already declared to not be HoF material. And in the similar bodies and gene pool category, Cecil Fielder is not in the HoF. And you think Prince is a lock for the Hall?

Archives

NL EAST STANDINGS

W L GB
WASHINGTON 71 53 --
ATLANTA 66 60 6.0
MIAMI 63 62 8.5
NEW YORK 59 68 13.5
PHILADELPHIA 55 71 17.0
Through Tuesday's games

UPCOMING SCHEDULE
WED: Diamondbacks at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
THU: Diamondbacks at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
FRI: Giants at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Giants at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Giants at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule

Mark joins Rob Carlin and Joe Orsulak every Thursday at 4 p.m. on Comcast SportsNet for a half-hour show on the Nats, Orioles and rest of MLB. Re-airs Thursdays at 11:30 p.m., Saturdays at 9 a.m. and Sundays at 11:30 a.m.

ON THE RADIO

As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...

MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.

*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.

Follow us on Twitter