Dec 7, 2011, 4:47 PM EDT
US Presswire photo
Mark Buehrle is considering the Nationals, along with four other teams.
Updated at 12:58 p.m.
DALLAS — Though the Mark Buehrle sweepstakes is moving toward a resolution — he has narrowed his search down to three clubs, according to a source familiar with the talks — the veteran left-hander may not be able to make his final decision until other top free agents have made theirs.
If general manager Mike Rizzo had his way, the Nationals would lock up the 32-year-old hurler right now.
But some of Buehrle's other pursuers are currently negotiating with other players and may not know if they're still interested in signing the pitcher until they've settled those other negotiations.
The Marlins, for example, have expressed strong interest in Buehrle. But if they win the Albert Pujols lottery, they're not going to haveRead more »
COUNTDOWN TO OPENING DAY
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Rizzo not looking for outside help despite injuries
- Reliever Janssen needs MRI on shoulder
- Miami Marlins name Opening Day starter
- Nats and Marlins starters meet in tune-up
- Uggla hoping for starting job, not bench role with Nats
- AL East team scouting Phillies' Jonathan Papelbon
- Report: Nats making lefty relievers available for trade
- Strasburg labors in return from ankle sprain
- Former Nats OF released by Texas Rangers; Ohlendorf to Triple-A
- Nats announce season-opening rotation order