Dec 7, 2011, 8:07 PM EST
US Presswire photo
A's left-hander Gio Gonzalez has burst onto the scene the last two years.
DALLAS — Despite some mild interest from the Nationals in acquiring Gio Gonzalez, the Oakland Athletics don't intend to trade the young left-hander at the Winter Meetings.
Gonzalez's name has surfaced in the last 24 hours as a hot trade target of several clubs after word got out the A's might be willing to deal the 26-year-old lefty. The Nationals inquired about his availability, according to a source familiar with the discussions, but talks never progressed.
Even if the A's were willing to deal Gonzalez, general manager Billy Beane is seeking a significant haul in return, perhaps three or four top prospects. The Nationals probably wouldn't meet that kind of hefty demand, despite the attractiveness of a pitcher like Gonzalez.
In only two seasons as a full-time, big-league starter, Gonzalez hasRead more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- How much will the Nationals miss LaRoche?
- Report: Yankees tried to trade for Phillies SS Jimmy Rollins
- A reason for each MLB team to be thankful this Thanksgiving
- Who's better right now?
- Point/Counterpoint: Biggest threat in NL East in 2015?
- Nats' Fedde hits milestone in Tommy John recovery
- Charlie Manuel almost returned to baseball as O's hitting coach
- How much money can the Nats spend this winter?
- With Hamels trade rumors, Phillies are staying patient
- MLB postseason shares released, including Nats