Dec 8, 2011, 3:18 PM EDT
Updated at 11:06 a.m.
Meyers, 26, had been a reliable starter in the Nationals' farm system and went 9-7 with a 3.18 ERA and a stellar 116-to-15 strikeout-to-walk ratio in 25 games this season, most of them at Class AAA Syracuse.
The Nationals' minor-league pitcher of the year in 2009, Meyers had since seen several other prospects — Brad Peacock, Tommy Milone, Sammy Solis, among others — leapfrog him on the organizational depth chart.
"You can only protect so many players, and we felt … that we have enough depth to absorb if we were to lose a starting pitcher or two," general manager Mike Rizzo said. "We actually anticipated losing more than one starter in the major-league phase of the Rule 5 draft. It goesRead more »
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals roster review: Michael Taylor
- Trio of Nats coaches will remain in organization
- MLB Playoffs continue with 4 Division Series games
- Roster review: Bryce Harper
- Important offseason dates to consider for the Nationals
- Ripken on Nats manager job: 'I'd answer the phone'
- Both ALDS shift to Texas for Game 3s
- Both NL Division Series continue with Saturday doubleheader
- Phillies could hire MLB's first female general manager
- October madness: All 4 MLB division playoff series in action