Dec 9, 2011, 11:17 PM EDT
US Presswire photo
Ryan Perry owns a 4.07 ERA in 139 career big-league games.
The Nationals have swapped right-handed relievers with the Tigers, sending Collin Balester to the Tigers for Ryan Perry.
The impetus of the trade, from the Nationals’ perspective, might be the roster flexibility it will provide. Balester will be out of options in 2012 and thus can’t be sent to the minors without first passing through waivers. Perry, meanwhile, has one option year remaining, allowing the Nationals to retain his rights even if he doesn’t make the Opening Day roster.
Perry, 24, owns a 4.07 ERA in 149 appearances over the last three seasons with Detroit, but he’s had trouble sticking in the big leagues because of consistency issues. Drafted by the Tigers only three years ago as the 21st overall pick, Perry reached the majors after only one minor-league season and only eight appearances at Class AAA.
With a fastball that averaged 94.1 mph this season, Perry will have a shot to make the Nationals’ bullpen out of spring training as a middle
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
NL POSTSEASON SCHEDULE
WED: Giants at Pirates, 8:07 p.m. (ESPN)
FRI: Game 1, Pirates at Nats, 12:07 p.m.,
OR Giants at Nats, 3:07 p.m. (FS1)
SAT: Game 2, PIT/SF at Nats, 5:37 p.m. (FS1)
MON: Game 3, Nats at PIT/SF, TBA (MLBN)
TUE: Game 4, Nats at PIT/SF, TBA (FS1)*
OCT. 9: Game 5, PIT/SF at Nats, TBA (FS1)*
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Royals beat A's 9-8 in 12 in AL wild-card thriller
- 'Now the fun begins' - Nats enter postseason on a roll
- Game thread: Who will advance in AL Wild Card game?
- Bryce Harper to play showcase in Japan after MLB playoffs
- MLB postseason begins tonight: Wild Card playoff preview
- 5 questions facing the Nationals in the postseason
- Nats finding ways to stay sharp (VIDEO)
- Games 1 and 2 at Nationals Park will be matinees
- Revisiting Opening Day predictions on the Nats
- Zimmermann named NL Player of the Week for 2nd time this year