Dec 9, 2011, 11:17 PM EST
US Presswire photo
Ryan Perry owns a 4.07 ERA in 139 career big-league games.
The Nationals have swapped right-handed relievers with the Tigers, sending Collin Balester to the Tigers for Ryan Perry.
The impetus of the trade, from the Nationals’ perspective, might be the roster flexibility it will provide. Balester will be out of options in 2012 and thus can’t be sent to the minors without first passing through waivers. Perry, meanwhile, has one option year remaining, allowing the Nationals to retain his rights even if he doesn’t make the Opening Day roster.
Perry, 24, owns a 4.07 ERA in 149 appearances over the last three seasons with Detroit, but he’s had trouble sticking in the big leagues because of consistency issues. Drafted by the Tigers only three years ago as the 21st overall pick, Perry reached the majors after only one minor-league season and only eight appearances at Class AAA.
With a fastball that averaged 94.1 mph this season, Perry will have a shot to make the Nationals’ bullpen out of spring training as a middle
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Zimmermann agreed to a surprising contract with Detroit
- Report: Nats, Mets and Braves all chasing two-time All-Star
- Appreciating Jordan Zimmermann’s Nationals career
- PHOTOS: Zimmermann’s Nats career through the years
- Did Zimmermann sign with Tigers at a discount?
- Jordan Zimmermann signs free agent deal with Tigers
- Report: Zimmermann in serious talks with AL team
- Nationals prospect spotlight: Victor Robles
- Nationals prospect spotlight: Erick Fedde
- Nationals prospect spotlight: Lucas Giolito