Dec 12, 2011, 7:54 PM EDT
Jose Rijo, the former Reds postseason hero and Nationals executive who lost his job as a result of the 2009 Esmailyn Gonzalez scandal, is slated to be arrested in his native Dominican Republic sometime in the next two weeks for being in contempt of court.
German Miranda, the head of the Dominican's Justice Ministry Anti-Laundering Unit, announced today that Rijo will be arrested before Christmas Eve for his failure twice to appear in court for questioning about his business dealings with a fugitive wanted on charges of murder and narcotics trafficking.
Matias Avelino Castro is wanted on charges of murdering journalist Jose Silvestre and narcotics trafficking. Miranda told a Dominican television network he has evidence linking Castro's seized businesses in the Dominican (valued at $2.6 million in the United States) with Rijo. He said Rijo, 46, could be charged with aiding and abetting a fugitive and with forming part of Castro's businesses.
Rijo didn't show up for questioning November 3, claiming stomachRead more »
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Report: Nats to interview former manager of year for open job
- Report: Former Nats player to interview for open manager job
- Mets, Cubs aim to clinch NLCS berths as playoffs continue
- Report: Nats interviewed former All-Star for manager position
- Nationals roster review: Michael Taylor
- Trio of Nats coaches will remain in organization
- MLB Playoffs continue with 4 Division Series games
- Roster review: Bryce Harper
- Important offseason dates to consider for the Nationals
- Ripken on Nats manager job: 'I'd answer the phone'