Full minor-league staffs announced

Dec 19, 2011, 6:16 PM EDT

The Nationals formally announced their full minor-league coaching staffs for 2012 today, promoting from within for their top two affiliates while hiring an experienced manager from outside to take over at high-Class A Potomac.

As was previously revealed, Tony Beasley will move up to manage Class AAA Syracuse after spending this season at Class AA Harrisburg, while Matthew LeCroy is promoted to manage Harrisburg after holding that position at Potomac in 2011.

The new skipper at Potomac will be Brian Rupp, who spent the last eight seasons managing or coaching in the Royals' system. Brian Daubach returns to manage at low-Class A Hagerstown, and Gary Cathcart returns at short-season Class A Auburn. Tripp Keister takes over as the new manager of the rookie Gulf Coast League Nationals after six years at Wesley College.

Here are the full minor-league staffs…

CLASS AAA SYRACUSE
Manager: Tony Beasley
Pitching coach: Greg BookerRead more »

1. Sec 3, My Sofa - Dec 19, 2011 at 6:38 PM

2. Sec 3, My Sofa - Dec 19, 2011 at 6:40 PM

Tripp Keister takes over as the new manager of the rookie Gulf Coast League Nationals after six years at Wesley College.Didn't he coach at Butte?

3. The Joker - Dec 19, 2011 at 6:45 PM

No First Base Coaches? They young players need coaches to tell them when to run.

4. Sec 3, My Sofa - Dec 19, 2011 at 6:50 PM

Jokester, they need two coaches for that–one at third to give the signs, and one at first to remind them how many outs there are, and to yell "BACK!!" at appropriate times.

5. Sec 3, My Sofa - Dec 19, 2011 at 6:51 PM

I think I played against Tripp's brother, Landon.

6. Wally - Dec 19, 2011 at 7:04 PM

Tripp is just his nickname. His given name is Parkyer.

7. natsfan1a - Dec 19, 2011 at 7:09 PM

Re. base coaches, I believe that coaches tend to fill more than one role in the minors. For instance, I've seen the skipper also coach third base at Potomac.

8. Anonymous - Dec 19, 2011 at 7:18 PM

Yawn. Glad to know we have minor league coaches and equipment managers and all, but Mark Z has to have something more than this to tell us today.

9. The Joker - Dec 19, 2011 at 7:19 PM

When do the players stop chanting "Hey, Better. Hey, Batter. Swing!"?

10. Sunderland - Dec 19, 2011 at 7:31 PM

All of our minor league coordinators need nicknames like Spin has.MINOR LEAGUE COORDINATORSField Coordinator: Blades HenleyPitching Coordinator: Spin WilliamsHitting Coordinator: Stick SchuRehabilitation Pitching Coordinator: Stretch GraterInfield Coordinator: Pivot GarberOutfield/Baserunning Coordinator: Stride TarascoCoordinator of Instruction: Guru CathcartMedical and Rehabilitation Coordinator: Doc GoberStrength and Conditioning Coordinator: Pecs BrandesMinor League Equipment Manager: Stuff MinasianAm I reading right that three of our guys are named Grater, Garber and Gober?

11. pahou - Dec 19, 2011 at 7:54 PM

Most minor league teams the manager coaches third while a player coaches first. Sometimes the hitting coach will be at first, but not usual.

12. Anonymous - Dec 19, 2011 at 8:27 PM

Looks like its Cameron not Ankiel according to MLBTR.

13. Anonymous - Dec 19, 2011 at 8:34 PM

Mike Cameron? He was, at one point, a very, very good CF. That was 2008. Psot PED testingm odd how he came back to earth in pretty much every aspect of the game.

14. Anonymous - Dec 19, 2011 at 8:40 PM

This had better be a minor league contract. Cameron was terrible last year, was not so hot in 2010, he's old and he's got a PED infraction in his past, so the clubhouse veteran mentoring jazz can't be too much the song from Rizzo. If they give the guy a chance to make the club, thyen great, but if they are promising him guaranteed MLB money, there is something wrong.dfh21

15. Anonymous - Dec 19, 2011 at 8:41 PM

Mike Cameron? He was, at one point, a very, very good CF. He still is but at age 38 his offense appears to be in decline. Still has power and takes lots of walks always has a high OBP. The real problem is that he is another right-handed bat. But if you are going to play Werth in CF you can't beat bringing Cameron in in the late innings and shifting Werth over.

16. Wally - Dec 19, 2011 at 8:50 PM

I think that he is an ok bench guy, and don't worry too much whether it is a major league or minor league deal. He was horrible last year with the bat, but ok in the field (admittedly not Davey's MO).Like I felt when we signed Ankiel last year, as a guy to take the spot start, PH and get 150-200 ABs, I have no problem with it. But if we give him 400 ABs then it is trouble.

17. MGG - Dec 19, 2011 at 8:53 PM

Mark, What exactly are the Nats doing? As a fan I am confused and frustrated. They've done nothing so far this off season to make this club better and a 38 year old CF? What?! I don't get that at all, can anyone say Matt Stairs redux? I know building a club is hard, but I guess not filling it with old players seems to be pretty hard too. Someone PLEASE tell me why the nats did this, cause I am at a complete and utter loss.

18. Harper_ROY_2012 - Dec 19, 2011 at 8:55 PM

Mike Cameron is so old, to me this means Bryce will be roaming the outfield in June 2012!

19. Unkyd - Dec 19, 2011 at 9:02 PM

Cameron. Like chumming for Trolls….Drop your lines, people… No limit!!

20. Wally - Dec 19, 2011 at 9:04 PM

OK, I'll go for it – Cameron is so old, I've seen stale raisins with less wrinkles.Cameron is so old, his birth certificate is in Roman numerals.Cameron is so old, he walked into an antique store and they kept him.I am here every Monday afternoon.Capcha was froid – there is something there, I am not sure what it is but I feel the need to talk about it.

21. natsfan1a - Dec 19, 2011 at 9:05 PM

According to Ladson, it's a minor league deal.

22. Oldguy - Dec 19, 2011 at 9:06 PM

I just got through reading a biography of Eisenhower's presidency, and the author concludes (and I agree) that he was a great man for things he didn't do–like using nuclear weapons over Quemoy and Matsu, etc., etc. Doing nothing is often the best strategy. Period. Done. The development our our young players within the system is WHY this team will be good for years to come. Yawn if you like, but this is the stuff that matters, not who you get to fill in some vacant spot on the bench.

23. natsfan1a - Dec 19, 2011 at 9:08 PM

What the heck? My post disappeared. Oh well. See you in the new post.

24. NatsJack in Florida - Dec 19, 2011 at 9:08 PM

Unkyd….it doesn't matter who it was……Dobbs, Cameron, Ankiel,….. any of them…. the Trolls would flock.

25. Anonymous - Dec 19, 2011 at 9:39 PM

Cameron is so old, he played for the Prince William Cannons.

26. Sec 3, My Sofa - Dec 19, 2011 at 11:53 PM

Wally, that is cold.

27. Sec 3, My Sofa - Dec 20, 2011 at 12:01 AM

I don't always repost my own stuff, but when I do, I quote somebody interesting.@MGG: Just thought I'd share this exchange with Cubs' beat writer Bruce Miles:Robert **** posted to Bruce Miles Bruce, what gives with the Cubs? Players signing elsewhere and Theo does nothing. I don't consider Stewart and DeJesus much of anything. Is there anything out there to get reasonably excited about? Or are Epstein's hands tied by Tom Ricketts who won't allow money to be spent? Most Cub fans I know are beginning to wonder just why Theo came here. Very frustrated………… December 13 at 9:48am ·Bruce Miles – Opening Day isn't for three and a half months. This mess didn't happen overnight. It won't be fixed overnight. They had to hire a manager and some new coaches. The free-agent and trade markets are still developing. We'll see what happens with Fielder.