Dec 19, 2011, 9:04 PM EDT
US Presswire photo
Mike Cameron hit .203 in 78 games this season, 45 of them with the Marlins.
Stymied thus far in their quest to find a long-term answer in center field, the Nationals today came up with what appears to be a short-term solution: Mike Cameron.
The Nationals agreed to terms with the veteran outfielder on a minor-league contract, according to a source familiar with the deal. Cameron, who turns 39 next month, isn't guaranteed to make the Opening Day roster. If he does, he won't be counted on to be an everyday player, but he could wind up platooning in center field with a left-handed hitter (perhaps Roger Bernadina or Rick Ankiel) or coming off the bench.
Either way, the Cameron signing seems to indicate the Nationals intend to plug their hole in center field with stop-gaps for now, keeping the position open for whenever top prospect Bryce Harper is deemed big-league ready. Once that happens, Harper could take over in right field, with Jayson Werth sliding over to center field.
Once one of the premier center fielders in baseball, Cameron is a three-time Gold Glove Award winner who has struggled both to stayRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
TUE: Nats at Braves, 7:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Braves, 7:10 p.m.
THU: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Marlins, 1:10 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- After nailbiter, Nationals on the cusp of a clinch
- Strasburg dominates as Nats win 4-2
- Harper latest Nats player to come down with bug
- LaRoche named finalist for Man of Year award
- Zimmerman ready for game action in Viera
- Strasburg tries to exorcise Atlanta demons
- Nationals putting NLDS tickets on sale Monday
- State of the Nats: Nationals can clinch this week against rivals
- Can the Nationals clinch in Atlanta this week?
- Nationals lower magic number to four, top Mets