Dec 20, 2011, 4:14 PM EST
The Nationals announced the signings of nine players to minor-league contracts with invitations to spring training: outfielders Jason Michaels, Xavier Paul and Brett Carroll; infielders Chad Tracy, Andres Blanco and Jarrett Hoffpauir; catcher Carlos Maldonado; and right-handers Jeff Fulchino and Waldis Joaquin.
Michaels, 35, is a career .263 hitter with 59 homers and a .339 on-base percentage in parts of 11 seasons with the Phillies, Indians, Pirates and Astros. The veteran, who has played all three outfield positions, hit just .199 in 89 games with Houston this season.
Tracy, 31, owns a career .278 average, 79 homers and .337 on-base percentage in seven seasons with the Diamondbacks, Marlins and Cubs. Originally drafted in 2001 by Nationals GM Mike Rizzo (when he was scouting director for Arizona), the corner infielder played this season in Japan.
Paul, 26, is a .246 hitter with a .288 on-base percentage in 183 career games (128 of them coming this season with the Dodgers andRead more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Zimmermann throws three scoreless in Nats' 3-2 loss
- Zimmermann squares off with Braves again
- 2014 Washington Nationals fantasy baseball preview
- Phillies Cole Hamels suffers setback, April looks doubtful
- Projecting Nats' roster midway through spring
- Nats introduce new 'Red Carpet Rewards' program
- Desmond hits 1 of Nationals' 4 homers in win
- Former Nats OF Rick Ankiel is retiring
- Podcast: Baseball in The District - Nats position battles
- Gonzalez, Werth make long-awaited spring debuts