Dec 22, 2011, 9:57 PM EDT
Nationals general manager Mike Rizzo has spent the last two winters desperately seeking to add another front-line starter to pitch alongside Stephen Strasburg and Jordan Zimmermann in his rotation. Today, Rizzo finally got his man, but the price to acquire him was steep.
Washington has agreed to acquire left-hander Gio Gonzalez from the Oakland Athletics in exchange for catcher Derek Norris, right-handers Brad Peacock and A.J. Cole and left-hander Tommy Milone, a source familiar with the deal confirmed this afternoon. ESPN’s Keith Law was first to report the trade.
Gonzalez, 26, blossomed into one of the American League’s better pitchers over the last two years, going a combined 31-21 with a 3.17 ERA while averaging 184 strikeouts per season. A first-time All-Star in 2011, he has also led the majors with 183 total walks over the last two seasons.
The Miami native and 2004 first-round draft pick instantly gives the Nationals a formidable trio of young power pitchers, all of them under
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals roster review: Tanner Roark
- Span will return to Nats, LaRoche & Soriano won't
- Trio of Nationals players become free agents
- Bumgarner, Giants beat KC 3-2 in Series Game 7
- Nationals roster review: Gio Gonzalez
- Giants, Royals battle in Game 7 for 2014 World Series title
- Nationals roster review: Doug Fister
- Royals hammer Peavy, Giants to force Game 7
- Giants can clinch 3rd World Series in 5 years in Game 6 at KC
- Ohlendorf taken off Nats' roster, becomes free agent