Dec 23, 2011, 6:10 PM EDT
US Presswire photo
A healthy Stephen Strasburg is the biggest reason the Nats will improve in 2012.
No matter what you think about the Gio Gonzalez trade, whether Mike Rizzo gave up too much for the left-hander or not, you have to acknowledge it makes the Nationals a better team in 2012.
How much better? Ah, glad you asked. I'm about to do something I don't often do: Delve into sabermetrics. Specifically the all-everything stat known as WAR (Wins Above Replacement).
For the uninitiated, WAR attempts to quantify how many wins a particular player can add to his team beyond what a faceless, Class AAA call-up would produce himself. It's by no means a perfect stat, because it's calculated through all kinds of secret formulas people like you and me can't figure out on our own (unlike, say, on-base percentage or ERA). There is also more than one formula for WAR: one devised by baseball-reference.com and one devised by fangraphs.com (the latter of which gives more weight to defense).
But if nothing else, it's a fun way to try to project how much a team has or has not improved from one season to the next, so let's take aRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nats look to avoid sweep against Mets in New York
- Ross continues to impress, but Mets showing their worth
- Duda, Cespedes too much for Nationals
- Cespedes debuts for Mets, as Nats aim to even series
- Nats are in a real pennant race now
- Mets beat Nats 2-1 in epic game capped by Flores walk-off
- Nats' reliever to get second opinion on ailing shoulder
- Catching up with now-Mets pitcher Tyler Clippard
- Mets get Cespedes for big series vs. Nats
- Nats, Mets begin weekend series with first place on the line