Dec 23, 2011, 6:10 PM EDT
US Presswire photo
A healthy Stephen Strasburg is the biggest reason the Nats will improve in 2012.
No matter what you think about the Gio Gonzalez trade, whether Mike Rizzo gave up too much for the left-hander or not, you have to acknowledge it makes the Nationals a better team in 2012.
How much better? Ah, glad you asked. I'm about to do something I don't often do: Delve into sabermetrics. Specifically the all-everything stat known as WAR (Wins Above Replacement).
For the uninitiated, WAR attempts to quantify how many wins a particular player can add to his team beyond what a faceless, Class AAA call-up would produce himself. It's by no means a perfect stat, because it's calculated through all kinds of secret formulas people like you and me can't figure out on our own (unlike, say, on-base percentage or ERA). There is also more than one formula for WAR: one devised by baseball-reference.com and one devised by fangraphs.com (the latter of which gives more weight to defense).
But if nothing else, it's a fun way to try to project how much a team has or has not improved from one season to the next, so let's take aRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Roark, Ramos lead Nationals past Cubs 2-1
- Nats pregame music choice irks Phillies, they promise payback
- Roark gets the start for Nats at Wrigley
- State of the Nats: Rolling into Wrigley for Bryant vs. Harper
- Harper showing he can excel at 'the little things'
- Advice from teammates helps Gio get back on track vs. Phillies
- Anthony Rendon to take big step forward in rehab this week
- Strong Gio start secures another series win for Nats
- Nationals aim for another series win against Philly
- Still no answer for Strasburg's woes