Dec 24, 2011, 3:00 PM EST
US Presswire photo
Mike Rizzo gave another endorsement for Adam LaRoche as his first baseman in 2012.
Last night's teleconference offered us beat writers a chance to ask Mike Rizzo about all angles of the Gio Gonzalez trade, but a few other topics were brought up and are worth sharing.
So consider this your last-minute Christmas gift: "Rizzo Unplugged"…
Q: Are you still pursuing a center fielder?
Rizzo: "We're always looking to improve our ballclub. We feel if the right fit for a center fielder — a long-term center fielder — came to us, we would certainly be aggressive and go after it, either via the free agency market or the trade market. We certainly haven't gotten off that. We still feel that's a need for us. We do feel we have in-house candidates for us right now that can fill that position very effectively, being Jayson Werth could move to center field and then we would open up a bigger pool of candidates for a corner outfield position. We feel that position hasn't really changed this offseason so far. Like I said, we're still looking for a long-term, permanent fit for us and we just haven't found that yet. We're still attacking all avenues to try to get one."
Q: What's at the top of your offseason checklist now?
Rizzo: "We'd like to do some subtle things. We'd like to improve ourRead more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2013 schedule (subject to change)...
TUE: 12:45 p.m., 4:30 p.m.
WED: 2:30 p.m.
THU: 4:30 p.m.
FRI: 12:45 p.m., 2:30 p.m.
SAT: 9:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Wilson, Blevins among Nationals trade targets
- Rizzo: Nats aren't trading Clippard, Storen, Span
- 6 weeks into MLB offseason and free agents are going fast
- Williams on Harper, Strasburg and more
- Nats GM Mike Rizzo on lefty reliever market (VIDEO)
- Nationals' asking price high on Storen, Clippard
- Phillies willing to trade Cole Hamels and Cliff Lee
- Nats expect McLouth to get significant playing time
- Nats believe Ramos can catch 125 games
- Nationals in no rush to acquire left-hander