Strangest Moment of 2011

Dec 30, 2011, 2:00 PM EDT

US Presswire photo
Jim Riggleman's resignation minutes after a walk-off win? Doesn't get much stranger.

OK, we've run through the greatest moments of the year and we've looked at the worst moments of the year. Now, before we tie a bow on 2011 and move ahead to the promise of 2012, we take one final look back … at the strangest moments of the year.

And make no mistake, there were some strange moments in NatsTown. There was a previously popular center fielder getting traded for a bag of peanuts days after getting into a clubhouse fight with a teammate. There was a manager resigning moments after his team won in dramatic fashion. There was an interim manager getting ejected during his first game at the helm. There was a rookie pitcher hitting a home run on the very first pitch he ever saw in the big leagues. And there was the sight of a $126 million right fielder knocking giant foam presidential caricatures to the ground, winning the nightly race himself and then declaring himself "the last remaining member of the Bull Moose Party."

Let's run through the five finalists, one bizarre moment at a time…

MARCH 27: MORGAN TRADED TO MILWAUKEE
That Nyjer Morgan and the Nationals parted ways in less-than-loving fashion was no surprise. That relationship has steadily deteriorated overRead more ยป

1. Just Sayin' - Dec 31, 2011 at 10:22 PM

I hope Prince Fielder is spending his New Year's Eve searching the comment sections of baseball blogs in search of detailed dietary advice from anonymous posters. Or else someone just wasted a lot of time and effort…Kind of like I just did posting drivel.

2. Anonymous - Dec 31, 2011 at 11:03 PM

Just Sayin's drivel included humor. Yours, not so much. Just old school drivel.

3. SonnyG10 - Dec 31, 2011 at 11:28 PM

Happy New Year everybody. It's so nice to have the Nats Insider family to help pass the time until spring training. Love you all!

4. LoveDaNats - Jan 1, 2012 at 12:32 AM

Happy New Year all ! Doing my typical New Year thing…….steak dinner with hubby and a good bottle of Brunello di Montalcino. No baseball so we're doing a "Homeland" marathon. May you all have a wonderful evening and see you on opening day……or the BoSox exhibition…….or spring training……

5. Sec 3, My Sofa - Jan 1, 2012 at 12:50 AM

6. Anonymous - Jan 1, 2012 at 12:53 AM

Also, UZR maybe overrated, but I have my eyes to support it.You're also not a scout, or a baseball person with "years of experience", those who do have those credentials disagree with both you and Natsfan1a.

7. Anonymous - Jan 1, 2012 at 12:56 AM

In fact, instead of beer, I should give you odds…a bottle of Johnny Walker Blue Label vs. your beer, still payable to Sec3MySofa.In my case being right would not at all be a happy circumstance … in fact it would be a rather sad day.

8. Just a bunch of snivel - Jan 1, 2012 at 12:58 AM

With your dorky drivel …Just Sayin's drivel included humor. Yours, not so much. Just old school drivel.

9. Anonymous - Jan 1, 2012 at 1:03 AM

Well there you have it. Worse moment in the history of the franchise perhaps?keithlaw Colon for Lee, Sizemore, Phillips "@Grahambo86: @keithlaw In your opinion, what's one of the worst trades you'd seen?"

10. NatsLady - Jan 1, 2012 at 1:22 AM

Anon @7:53, I'm not going to relate my baseball credentials, but I do have them. You sound very young. I expect I've been playing baseball and softball, coaching baseball, and observing baseball since before your mother was born. And, in case you thing that mine is just the voice of an "amateur" may I give you the example of an "amateur" concert pianist who was also the Secretary of State. Don't worry about it kid, you'll grow up one of these days.

11. Sec 3, My Sofa - Jan 1, 2012 at 3:43 AM

NatsLady, you wouldn't be with the Barncats by any chance, would you?

12. NatsLady - Jan 1, 2012 at 3:52 AM

Yep, that's me. How'd you know?http://texasbarncats.org/captcha is pybarrr — really!

13. Anonymous - Jan 1, 2012 at 3:59 AM

You sound very young. I expect I've been playing baseball and softball, coaching baseball, and observing baseball since before your mother was born. I expect I've been playing hard ball since I was FIVE YEARS OLD. My first home run was into a cow pasture. So, I'm not exactly young Natslady. And I do understand how to read and use statistics. How to combine them with real scouting reports as Sickel's has done? I wonder where you were when everyone was calling Morse a AAAA player that wouldn't amount to much and I was comparing his AAAA stats to a guy who everyone raved about in AA who had never played AAA named Jason Heyward? Seems like Heyward went one way and Morse the other. Plus Morse uses the same batting stance that I had when I played. Actually something I picked up from reading Clary Anderson's and Ted William's books on the topic.If you really believe that Morse is a terrible first baseman and not middling' then I'm sorry to say you really DON'T know what you are talking about having never played at that level.

14. NatsLady - Jan 1, 2012 at 4:13 AM

Well, ya got me beat. first home run was in a school yard on the South Side of Chicago the year the White Sox won the pennant.Yeah, I wasn't five. I was nine. So now you know my age…Yeah, I never played major league baseball, nor even Little League. I was only allowed to be the ballgirl in "organized sports." Funny thing about that. But in the school yard, where the real game was played–on cement, not grass–yeah, that was fine. They always needed a scrappy kid who could beat out a bunt.

15. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Jan 1, 2012 at 4:56 AM

Going for final post of 2011…GYFNG!!!

16. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Jan 1, 2012 at 5:00 AM

And first post of 2012!!!Happy New Year, Nats Insiders!!!GYFNG!!!

17. NatsLady - Jan 1, 2012 at 5:38 AM

Happy New Year to all! Go Nats!

18. Anonymous - Jan 1, 2012 at 9:39 AM

Now, sign Prince Fielder and if you can trade for Upton and let's get a solid lineup in place for the next 4-5 years. And while you're at it Mike how about acquiring another young left-handed starter from the Rays along with Upton? And if you can't sign Prince please steal Seth Smith before the Braves get him.

19. natsfan1a - Jan 1, 2012 at 11:34 AM

Happy New Year to the Zuckermans and all of my Nats Insider baseball buddies! (And thanks for the kind words, whatsanattau.)

20. NatsJack in Florida - Jan 1, 2012 at 1:12 PM

21. Gonat - Jan 1, 2012 at 2:09 PM

NatsJack in Florida said… Happy New Year everybody!And NatsLady…. the only problem Morse has as a 1st baseman is determiming when to charge a ball or stay back and cover while the pitcher makes the play…… and all 1st baseman have that same problem.Otherwise, while he's no Adam LaRoche…. he's above average defensively. January 1, 2012 8:12 AM_______________________________I also agree with the previous assessment that his range to his backhand (right side) could be improved and probably would be with more reps.He has good hands on the bag which is a must.Happy New Year everyone!

22. Sec 3, My Sofa - Jan 1, 2012 at 5:01 PM

@NatsLady, good one, but I meant these barncats.

23. Scooter - Jan 1, 2012 at 5:22 PM

Link fail: these BarnCats.(Yes, I have the sofa's back.)

24. NatsLady - Jan 1, 2012 at 6:23 PM

25. The Fox - Jan 1, 2012 at 6:40 PM

Happy New Year to all…Morse will be fine at first once he learns it. Other first basemen who were considered poor went on to win GG's, Eddie Murry comes to mind and yes I know GG's aren't a good measure see Palmeiro 1999 but you can't stink and get them. That said ALR is a surprising good 1st baseman and being left handed gives him an advantage. As to women in baseball I think that within a generation one will have broken into MLB. My guess LH relief pitcher.

26. BinM - Jan 1, 2012 at 6:50 PM

While I've never been an advocate for signing Fielder, he does have soft hands on the bag as well. His problems defensively are lack of range to either side defensively (weight related), and a restricted reach (due to his height). The real judgement call imo is could he be as productive offensively in DC as he was in MIL? Based on current team configuration & lack of team OBP%, the answer is no. He's had good OPB guys in front of him in MIL for a while now (Hart, Weeks, Morgan, Braun, etc.) with an OBP% of .365+, while WSH offers (Desmond, Werth, Bernadina, RZim, etc.) with an OBP% of .331. That's a -55 run difference over the course of the season. Another big bat in the middle of the lineup doesn't necessarily solve the run scoring problems as much as an on-base machine at the top of the lineup would.

27. Sec 3, My Sofa - Jan 1, 2012 at 7:50 PM

Thanks, ScootsNut. (danged newfangled phones!)

28. Sec 3, My Sofa - Jan 1, 2012 at 7:56 PM

29. Sec 3, My Sofa - Jan 1, 2012 at 8:03 PM

NatsLady said…Sofa, thanks a lot for the link. Never heard of them before, but might go up for a game.I recommend it, NL, partly because they have one of the best baseball team names EVER, and partly because I'm acquainted with some of the players, in a baseball sense. They also have DC- and Virginia-based teams, if that's easier for you to get to.If any of you know any women interested in playing, I understand the EWBC is looking to expand by one team this coming season. From their Eastern Women's Baseball Conference website: Women and girls (14 and older) who are interested in playing: Call us toll-free at 1-877-GET-EWBC

30. whatsanattau - Jan 1, 2012 at 8:43 PM

Buster Olney essentially has the Nats as the 11th best team in his Power Rankings (5th in the NL). He lists his top ten and in the best of the rest section names the Nationals with the note that if they signed Fielder they would jump into the top ten. The others: Rays, Phillies, Rangers, Yankees, Diamondbacks, Redsox, Cardinals, Tigers, Angels, Giants, Nationals. Earlier – the past few weeks – Olney rated the Nats as having MLB's 9th best infield, 8th best bullpen, and 8th best rotation. The Nats not getting mentioned in best lineups and best outfields. Of course power rankings mean absolutely nothing, but assuming 2 wild cards, 5th best in the NL would mean the Nats make it in to the post season. Olney's rankings would have the Nats being better than the Braves, Marlins, and Brewers. And would have the Giants and the Nationals facing off in a one game playoff. Completing the fantasy, I'll have Zimmermann beating Lincecum 3-2 Michael Morse homerun at Nats Park. I wonder when the tickets go on sale?

31. natsfan1a - Jan 1, 2012 at 9:15 PM

Off topic but I was very interested to learn about the feline-related barn cats organization. Great idea, imo. I'm going to mention it to my Ohio family (lots of barns there).On topic, now we're into the 40's as far as the Spring Training countdown. Oh, yeah!

32. gonatsgo - Jan 1, 2012 at 9:37 PM

If everyone stays healthy and plays half way to his potential we'll be very good.It's those wacky things you can't control that get you every time. GYFNG!!! And the counter is under 50!!!

33. Anonymous - Jan 1, 2012 at 9:38 PM

Another big bat in the middle of the lineup doesn't necessarily solve the run scoring problems as much as an on-base machine at the top of the lineup would.Looking again at Werth's OBP I think he could provide the requisite OBP by batting second. His OBP was what made him a slightly above average hitter using park and defense neutral stats. He didn't have a negative number. At the top of the lineup we both know that either Desmond or Lombardozzi should do the trick. Plus if Zim returns to his 2010 statistical level then he too will be on base for Fielder's bat. The real problem becomes: who bats behind Fielder? Its Morse right now which should work, then probably Espinosa but Ramos is also a possibility. And then there's the wildcard: Bryce Harper.And that's why the Nats need that left-handed impact/elite bat in the lineup. Looking at Harper's offensive stats and comparing them to David Frietas leaves me wondering if he truly would be ready for the majors? Have to wonder if perhaps he needs another 1/2 season in AA with the rest in AAA. But I do know Davey seems bound and determined to put him in his outfield. Have to wonder what it would do to Harper if he didn't hit and was optioned to Syracuse? And honestly, with all the strike outs and dearth of walks LaRoche barely maintains as an average hitter. If he is hitting either behind or in front of Morse I don't see much run production. If they acquire Fielder it is my contention that they can then go to Tampa Bay and get them a BJ Upton. But at what price? And would BJ Upton sign an extension thus negating free agency in 2013? Then you would have Upton as a potential leadoff hitter as well. I think he would do well in that spot but has the raw power to hit lower. I see either Desmond or Lombardozzi initially leading off with Werth batting second.

34. Anonymous - Jan 1, 2012 at 9:45 PM

As to women in baseball I think that within a generation one will have broken into MLB. My guess LH relief pitcher.I would guess starter. I suspect focus and concentration would be better. But, to have the arm strength she would likely have to be about Meyer's height.

35. NatsLady - Jan 1, 2012 at 10:29 PM

Or a second baseman? (Position I played).http://www.lasentinel.net/Womens-History-Month-These-women-played-with-the-big-boys.html

36. natsfan1a - Jan 1, 2012 at 10:54 PM

This lady did quite well back in the day.

37. Anonymous - Jan 2, 2012 at 12:27 AM

To Beast Mode fans from Barbara Streisand Happy New Year!http://gobarbra.com/hit/new-57417d487a89ba534f9dbc2364b0ed89

38. lovethegame - Jan 2, 2012 at 12:39 AM

I played a lot of baseball as a kid – in the sandlot, where the guys needed us to have enough to play — small town. It was their fathers who were horrified at the thought of girls playing sports.I did get to watch games with my grandfather and father on Sunday afternoons on the tiny,snowy, black and white screen. They left me with a love of baseball and an absolute hatred of the yankees — thanks – I miss you both. I usually lurk here on ni, but felt compelled to share today.New Year's memories…..

39. natsfan1a - Jan 2, 2012 at 1:05 AM

Thanks for sharing, lovethegame.

40. Section 222 - Jan 2, 2012 at 1:09 AM

Hey @lovethegame, welcome. Don't hesitate to particpate. We won't bite, at least those of us who aren't Anon won't. I often wonder how the folks whose opinions I enjoy reading here came to love baseball so much that they'll spend their time reading a blog like this and playing arm chair GM or manager, with all the other pastimes that are out there in the digital age. So as we await Mark's first post of the New Year, feel free to share your memories, or origins as a baseball fan. I'll start, briefly (I know, my comments are rarely brief. Sorry). I was raised a Pirates fan in the 60s and 70s. My dad used to take me to sit in the left or right field bleachers in old Forbes Field. My childhood hero was Roberto Clemente, whose photo has a premier spot on my office wall. I loyally followed the Pirates until Bonds and Bonilla left in the early 90s and then kind of lost interest in baseball, only to have it reawakened by the arrival of our Nats in 2005. It only took a few months for me to realize that I had wholeheartedly transferred my allegiance to them. My playing career peaked in 6th grade Little League. I pitched and played shortstop, but I couldn't hit the fast ball, much less the curve. So that was that. Happy New Year everyone.

41. lovethegame - Jan 2, 2012 at 2:45 AM

And I still love the sound of Vin Scully's voice! Lots of baseball history in that man.

42. LoveDaNats - Jan 2, 2012 at 2:56 AM

Section 222Thanks for the memories. My dad took me to the Senators games where I insisted on touching the white Hondo home run seats. Summer to me was dad and the transistor radio with the game on while he grilled the burgers and dogs. Played softball through high school. Shortstop.I didn't realize how much I missed dc baseball till it came back. Love those boys and can't wait for the new season.

43. sjm308 - Jan 2, 2012 at 3:06 AM

Sec 222: good story and I am sure you have great memories of those great Pirate teams.My mom took me to my first game at Griffith Stadium in 1950 (I was 5) – it was love at first sight! Grew up loving Eddie Yost and playing 3rd base up through 10th grade when it was obvious I was not going to play much and I was winning every long distance race in PE. Stayed with baseball as my first love and ended up coaching swimming & track in West Va. at Fairmont State Univ. where the closest big league team was Pittsburgh. Took both boys to their first game at 3 Rivers and Andy Van Slyke became our favorite player. Moved back to coach at Maryland and with no team in DC, got Orioles season tickets in time to see Cal break the record and the Orioles actually make the playoffs. Was never happier then 2005 except when my son moved back from NYU to join me in section 308.Happy New Year to all and Go Nats

44. Navy Nats Fan - Jan 2, 2012 at 3:15 AM

Well, since you asked – I lived in Baltimore in the late 60s and early 70s, from the ages of about 6 to 12. '69 Series loss to the Mets, '70 Series win over the Reds, crushing loss to the Pirates in '71. Baseball fan for life, even though the Colts won the '71 Super Bowl (I swore off pro football when the Colts moved to Indy and have never returned). What a great time – BRobinson, FRobinson, Belanger, Blair, Buford, Johnson, Powell, Palmer, Cuellar, McNally, Dobson. Played from little league on through high school. Wanted to name my firstborn Brooks (vetoed by wife). My love affair with the Orioles started to decline when they fired Cal Sr. as manager in 1988. It got worse when Angelos took over. Misery epitomized by the revolving doors in the dugout and front office, and players like Albert Belle. I stuck with it until Cal Jr. retired in 2001. Around the same time, I was stationed overseas for 3 years (2001-2004) so it was easy to stop following baseball. I returned to DC right when the Expos arrived and became the Nationals and have been all in ever since – So Sec222, although you and I have some bitter history in 1971 and 1979 (for me, anyway), we're now all in on the best team around – Happy New Year and GYFNG!

45. skidge - Jan 2, 2012 at 3:32 AM

I went to Senators games with my father in the late 60s; I was 10 when the team left. Pretty much lost interest after that, although I did make several attempts to become an O's fan in the 80s and 90s, none of which ever took. Kept pining away for a DC team in the back of my mind, though—and what a thrill when it finally happened! So excited for the future…

46. NatsLady - Jan 2, 2012 at 4:04 AM

White Sox fan here, grew up on the South Side. Used to go to games with my sister. Really, really, really wanted to be a ballboy (girl) but it wasn't allowed. It was real cheap to sit in the outfield.My Gramps was a Cubs fan, but no one seemed to mind. My Pop was a fanatic Bears fan, and watched every game from the best seat (in front of the TV).Played some softball, but mostly hardball with the boys in the schoolyard. Was quick, lots of stamina, not much power, good at beating out dribblers and bunts, but I did get one home run. (We didn't have umps, so we didn't do balls and strikes, you batted til you hit one or you swung and missed three times.) I remember watching baseball games while ironing–lots of ironing in those days before "permanent press" sheets and sending shirts out was expensive. Greatest highlight of my young life was the 1959 pennant, with my heroes, Little Louie (Aparicio), Nellie Fox, Minnie Minoso…Knuckleballer Hoyt Wilhelm, fun days. The Sox played the Dodgers and won the first game something like 11-0, and then lost the next four.Married a New Yorker, crazy about the Yankees, Rangers, Knicks and of course, Giants. (If things went bad he had to turn off the TV for fear of smashing it.) I got totally addicted to the Giants, and all things football, even coaching Pop Warner.After he passed, I came down here to go to graduate school and take care of my Mom, and I had to break the football habit–too time-consuming. So I pretty much stayed away from sports til the Nats came.

47. natsfan1a - Jan 2, 2012 at 11:56 AM

I grew up in the San Francisco Bay Area and remember my dad and brothers listening to Giants games on the radio. I especially liked the sound of the Alou brother's names floating over the airwaves: Matty Alou, Jesus Alou, Felipe Alou. My parents couldn't afford to take us to games, although once in a while a family friend would treat my brother.We also lived in the Chicago area for a time, so there's a baseball connection there as well. My brother lives in that area now and follows the White Sox, but my Chicago baseball buddy bleeds Cubby blue. My brother did root for the Cubbies in 2003. Boy, was he upset with Mr. Bartman. Yeah.As an adult, I moved around a bit (geographically speaking). I watched the World Serious on tv but didn't have allegiance to any team in particular. I didn't really pay attention to that team up North after moving to Northern Virginia, but when the Nats came to DC they won my heart, and I've been a die-hard fan from day one.As far as in-person on-the-field activities. ummm…does beer league softball count? Back in the day I was on a work-related team. Happily, our team played for fun and weren't really serious competitors (happily because we kinda, well, stunk). Me? I was the one standing in the outfield corner and hoping the ball wasn't hit to me, or trying to lay down a nice bunt. :-)

48. natsfan1a - Jan 2, 2012 at 12:01 PM

Oh, and as I've shared on here before, my older brother was a Giants fan practically from day one. I have bittersweet memories of their recent World Series victory, because he had a serious and ultimately fatal health crisis that year, and my postseason memories are tied to ER visits and long-distance phone calls. I was very grateful that he got to see them win it all before he passed.

49. Unkyd - Jan 2, 2012 at 1:28 PM

I guess my baseball background is fairly typical: a couple of years in the Boys Club, in New Carrollton, playing catcher and OF, got to see Hondo a few times, at DC Stadium, with Dad, played catch with Dad (every evening!). Had Casey Cox, then an active RP for the Senators, for my PE teacher, in 4th grade ('68/'69), and took the loss of The Hometeam pretty hard. Never fell in with the Birds (although I admired Cal, very much), kinda followed the Yanks, since my Dad and (much) older brothers (all since passed) were all geographically correct Pinstripers. Was excited for BB to finally return to town, and caught a couple of games at RFK, but haven't been to the new park, yet. I'll have to save my pennies, and get out to meet some of you clowns, this summer! Looking forward to it…

50. Friday Night Nat - Jan 2, 2012 at 1:54 PM

First off, I have lurked this site pretty much since it started, occasionally posting anonymously. I absolutely adore most of you usual contributors, who have added much depth to my appreciation of baseball and the Nats. I am part of a season ticket group in Sec. 313, and my handle relates to the fact that I get all the Friday night games (living in northern Loudoun Co. makes "school night" games too tough. My apologies for the long post, but you asked for baseball histories, and I couldn't fit 53 years worth in any less space.I grew up in Louisville, KY in the 60s and 70s. The closest team was the Reds, but I adopted my older brothers' team, the Dodgers (probably because Pee Wee Reese was from Louisville). My Dad took us to a game every year or so at the old Crosley Field in Cincinnati. I saw Don Drysdale pitch there. That was pretty magical as a five year old.From 1967 to 1972, the Red Sox AAA affiliate was the Louisville Colonels. Among others, I saw Cecil Cooper, Dwight Evans, Luis Tiant, and my favorite, Carlton Fisk. Back then, parents allowed 12 year olds to walk unaccomanied five miles to the Fairgrounds where the Colonels played. My friends and I would chase foul balls reltentlessly. Sometimes we would ride our bicycles to the park for early batting practice and chase balls hit over the fence. Good times.I played little league beginning at age 8, mostly as a pitcher. Then when I was 10 my team had a sudden pre-season crisis: we had no catcher. I volunteered. After practice the coach handed me a "cup" and told me to wear it to the next practice. Huh? And so began my love of being a catcher. I was good enough to make my high school team. Great arm, good glove, weak bat. Couldn't hit the curve ball. One Saturday afternoon game, with the bases loaded, I swung at a pitch and lifted what I thought was lazy fly ball to left center. Damned if it didn't clear the fence. The only dinger I ever hit, and I floated around the bases. We lost 6-4.My love of the Dodgers continued through college, and followed me to D.C. in 1982 after graduation. My brother-in-law Mets fan and I started going to spring training in the 90s, splitting time between Vero Beach and Port St. Lucie. I quickly learned to despise the Orioles for blocking DC from getting a team. I pledged to never visit Camden Yards until that situation was rectified, and I am happy to report that I lifted my strike against Baltimore baseball in 2005, and I have seen a grand total of one game there since.As fate would have it, the Dodgers blew up the team in 2005, making it easy to adopt the Nats. I'll be at Spring Training again this year, and in Sec. 313 for every Friday night game. We've been through some lean times, Nats fans, but that will only make our emergence as a powerhouse even sweeter.

51. natsfan1a - Jan 2, 2012 at 3:36 PM

Other random fandom musings, maybe I also come by my rooting inclinations from my octogenarian aunt, who is a die-hard Indians fan.

52. Sec 3, My Sofa - Jan 2, 2012 at 6:08 PM

Born into the Church of Baseball on the West Side of Chicago; Dad was a deacon, in fact: he played semi-pro, primarily third base. Cubs/Giants fan growing up, because we lived in Chicago, and because Willie Mays. Years later, for many years, in SF, wasting many years very profitably, at Candlestick Park (which is more than the Giants themselves can say). Lousy teams, mostly, but The Dude, The Count, Moonman, and Mr. Roger's Neighborhood kept it interesting. Reacquainted with playing while overseas some years ago. Still play and manage on a Little League for Geezers team. It's my yoga.

53. bobfromalexandria - Jan 2, 2012 at 7:26 PM

wow, what wonderful nostalgia! Let me join all who love this blog whether lurking or participating.I've learned a great deal from you all — THANKS. Grew up in Queens, NY, surrounded by Dodger/Giant fans. One fateful day asked my mother who she rooted for, and she (from Oakland, Calif.) said the Yankees. That did it, even tho my dad was a Giants fan. My guy was Mickey Mantle, and when he came up in 1951 followed every swing. Took his "biography" to camp in 1952. Loved Rizzuto, Whitey Ford, Yogi and the rest. In those days baseball was mainly a day game, and on those lucky days when I was fortunate enough to be sick and the Yanks were at home, could watch them on the b/w TV in the afternoon. The sound of Mel Allen's, "Hello there everybody" has never left me. Worst memory: had tickets to Don Larsen's perfect game in the series, but had a miserable flu and fell asleep in the first inning from the meds and was awakened after the 9th from all the screaming. Cried like a baby.Lived in LA, San Diego, Boston, but never took to teams there like I took to the Nats. Go Nats, Go NatsInsider, and the best new year to all!

54. Mark Zuckerman - Jan 19, 2012 at 5:45 AM