Jan 3, 2012, 7:36 PM EDT
US Presswire photo
Jayson Werth's salary increases from $13 million in 2012 to $21 million by 2015.
One of the major ramifications of the Nationals signing an elite free agent to a mammoth contract (ie. Prince Fielder) is the effect it may or may not have on the club's ability to retain its current core players long-term.
But how much exactly would the Nats need to pay to retain those players? Perhaps more than you realize.
The Nationals, as currently constructed, are both in a highly advantageous position and a potentially dangerous position.
The good news: Nearly everyone of consequence on the roster is under team control for the next three, four or even five years. (The biggest exceptions are Ryan Zimmerman, Michael Morse and John Lannan, who all can become free agents after the 2013 season.)
The bad news: All of those core, young players are going to be eligibleRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
SAT: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SUN: Phillies at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Orioles at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
TUE: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
THU: Mets at Nats, 12:35 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Braves 7:35 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Hard-hit balls equal hard-luck loss for Nationals
- Fister, Nationals hard-luck losers in pitchers duel
- Asdrubal Cabrera joins Nats after trade, starts at second base
- Nationals send slumping Barrett to AAA
- Asdrubal Cabrera makes his debut
- Nats activate Asdrubal Cabrera, option Aaron Barrett
- MLB Power Rankings: Deadline shakeup in the AL
- Nationals bullpen in surprising rut
- Gio Gonzalez stumbles again in Nats' 10-4 loss to Phillies
- Pitchers' duel becomes battle of bullpens in Nationals 10-4 loss