Thursday news and discussion

Jan 12, 2012, 3:41 PM EDT

US Presswire file photo

I’m out of town on vacation until Jan. 16, but that doesn’t mean this site has to go silent. Please use this thread to discuss any news of the day or other topics you wish to bring up with each other.

Also, you may have noticed a change to the commenting format. Google’s Blogger platform (which I use to maintain this site) instituted an unannounced change yesterday to all of its blogs worldwide, allowing for “threaded” comments (in which you can directly respond to one comment instead of just posting something new at the very end of each post). Google claims it had been receiving overwhelming requests to make this change, though personally I prefer the old format (and I get the sense most of you do, too).

I’m still trying to figure out if it’s possible to disable the threading function and revert the comments to the old format, but that may not happen until I return from vacation next week. I’m also trying to figure out why timestamps on comments are suddenly three hours off; as best as I can tell, all blog functions are still set to Eastern Standard Time.

Thanks for your patience and understanding through all this.

1. Sec 3, My Sofa - Jan 12, 2012 at 3:48 PM

2. John C. - Jan 12, 2012 at 3:50 PM

Meet the new thread! Same as the old thread!Not that it matters, but I think that the Blue Jays are a slight favorite to sign Fielder. They have a lot of payroll space, can DH Fielder if needed, and play in a hitter's ballpark. With the Yankees and Red Sox aging, the Red Sox in some turmoil, the Yankees stated desire to get under the luxury tax threshold by 2014, and the Rays' payroll limitations, all these combine to give the Blue Jays an opportunity to go for it it with Bautista (under a very affordable contract through 2015, with a 2016 team option), Fielder and a young pitching staff over the next 3-4 years. My rough guess: 45% Toronto, 25% Nationals, 25% Rangers, 5% somewhere else. I'll be glad when Fielder does land, though, so we can all return to our regularly scheduled lives :-)

3. Unkyd - Jan 12, 2012 at 3:53 PM

Here it is….all I had to do is tumble through the looking glass….

4. Wally - Jan 12, 2012 at 3:53 PM

Boras quoted as saying that Fielder will sign 'by spring training'. Sheesh, I am getting Prince fatigue. I want the guy, but now I just want to stop reading and talking about him.I'll say this for the new method – it doesn't get that 2d page for 200+ comments (sorry if that has already been discussed, I didn't scroll thru all the comments). Not a big fan of that second page.Sec 3 – any chance that you posted as a reply, instead of a new comment?

5. Unkyd - Jan 12, 2012 at 4:13 PM

Anybody else unable to see past post# 200, yesterday?

6. natsfan1a - Jan 12, 2012 at 4:17 PM

Thanks, Mark or Official Blog Babysitter.Yes, Unk, but only after clicking on the "load more" option.Gotta go. I'm late for a very important date. :-)

7. natsfan1a - Jan 12, 2012 at 4:18 PM

Oh, I misread that. I was unable to see past #200 before clicking on the "load more" option.Say, where did that white rabbit go? Oh, I see him. Wait…come back here, bunny…

8. SonnyG10 - Jan 12, 2012 at 4:22 PM

New reply links not so bad imo.

9. Steve M. - Jan 12, 2012 at 4:26 PM

Wally, the problem with the Fielder signing getting delayed is a team like the Nats have a veteran like LaRoche who would need to be traded.The rumors of LaRoche traded to Tampa along with cash to offset part of his 2012 contract in trade for BJ Upton is what makes the Prince Fielder signing all the more over-the-top and should be the added "WAR" to get the Nats in that 90 win plateau. I also believe Prince helps the WAR of Ryan Zimmmerman as well as Morse.After reading Nats Enquirer this morning it seems logical that this is frustrating Mr. Lerner and Ladson's post seems to all but say it won't happen. Kilgore then writes it is on track still. Sounds to be like the wheels came off and Boras went on damage control late last night. Boras needs the impression/illusion that the Nats are still in as that has to be the "offer" he is trying to get bidders to go above. The best news would be the Rangers signing Darvish and telling Boras to stick it then Rizzo can hold firm on a 5 year deal. A win-win.

10. MicheleS - Jan 12, 2012 at 4:31 PM

Okay.. that Load more feature has tanked. I can't get it to work on the last thread.

11. Steve M. - Jan 12, 2012 at 4:33 PM

Boras in an inteview with Barry Bloom:"Certainly we're going to have him signed well in advance of Spring Training. I can't give you the exact date. These things take some time. That's why we have January and early February. Spring Training doesn't start until late February. We're just moving through the process. It's just one that takes some time. You've got to meet with owners. You've got to sit down and talk with them about their needs. He needs to know where they're headed. He's going to be there a long time, wherever he's going. So we need to get that information to him and evaluate it."

12. HHover - Jan 12, 2012 at 4:36 PM

Thoughts on the new format of the comments – Threading – There are some blogs, I think, that allow readers to toggle the threading of comments on and off. I wonder if that could be a compromise bwn those who like and those who don't like it.Formatting – threading aside, what looks weird to me about the new regime is that comments appear single spaced, which leaves them looking crowded and harder to read.As for an actual baseball comment – I don't think the Nats are going to get Fielder, and I wouldn't want to get him at the price that Boras will almost certainly exact. (Although the fact that Boras didn't do so well for Madson gives me a little hope that he's not all powerful and 100% successful in the current market.) But I do wish someone else would sign him, so we can stop talking about it.

13. natsfan1a - Jan 12, 2012 at 4:38 PM

MicheleS, it still works for me. Maybe it's your browser? (I'm using Firefox.)

14. HHover - Jan 12, 2012 at 4:39 PM

Right, right–the reason it's taking so long is because Fielder is being picky about where he wants to land.There's a reason you can't spell Boras without "BS."

15. Anonymous - Jan 12, 2012 at 4:39 PM

Mark is in Phoenix. Scott Boras is in Phoenix.Coincidence? I think not.

16. MicheleS - Jan 12, 2012 at 4:41 PM

1A.. Probably, but I am at work and can only use Explorer! Work interfering with the Nats again!PS.. Good comment to Tracee on the chat… Intewebz comments on WaPo are outrageous/obnoxious

17. Scooter - Jan 12, 2012 at 4:57 PM

Mark is in Phoenix. Scott Boras is in Phoenix.¡Holy sombreros! Fielder is coming to Nats Insider!

18. The Joker - Jan 12, 2012 at 5:00 PM

Boras and Zuckerman were seen eating fajitas and drinking Dos Equis at Matador's on Adams Street last night. Boras even changed baby Zuckerman's diaper.

19. natsfan1a - Jan 12, 2012 at 5:00 PM

zOMG!1! He's sooo going to be hitting posts outta this blog!

20. natsfan1a - Jan 12, 2012 at 5:01 PM

My sources have pooh-poohed that story, Joker.

21. Bowdenball - Jan 12, 2012 at 5:06 PM

Mark-I prefer threaded comments. Big improvement.

22. PAY TO PLAY - Jan 12, 2012 at 5:06 PM

HHover, This is a great line: There's a reason you can't spell Boras without "BS."Its like they say in Baltimore, you can't spell Angelos without LOSE!

23. Slidell - Jan 12, 2012 at 5:11 PM

If folks ignore the "Reply" marker, the blog will work pretty much as before. I for one will not go back to the beginning each time I visit. So, pearls of wisdom posted via the Reply feature may not be seen by me (not that it will bother anyone).(The correct time shows up in Preview.)

24. Steve M. - Jan 12, 2012 at 5:19 PM

This goes to the marketing discussion especially getting into the suburbs. The Ravens just outright say it. The Nats are NL and the Orioles are AL. There are already some crossover fans but what about the totally disgruntled O's fans pissed off at over a decade+4 of consistent losing:http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/dc-sports-bog/post/ravens-still-courting-redskins-fans/2012/01/12/gIQAUWYdtP_blog.html?wprss=dc-sports-bog

25. natsfan1a - Jan 12, 2012 at 5:28 PM

I'm with you re. scrolling through threads again, Slidell.

26. Anonymous - Jan 12, 2012 at 5:34 PM

Just when Nationals Park has finally been purged of idiots yelling "O" during the anthem, Steve M. thinks the Nats should start trying to attract Orioles fans. What a dumb idea.

27. DFL - Jan 12, 2012 at 6:05 PM

Thom Loverro just reported that the Nats are interested in signing Fielder but only on the relative cheap. But who knows? Maybe Loverro is in Boras' pay.

28. PAY TO PLAY - Jan 12, 2012 at 6:07 PM

Anon @ 9:34AM, Maybe the Nats shouldn't allow Capitals fans in the stadium. Those idiots not only yell "O" but also "Red" during the anthem. Probably the most disrespectful display of any fans in any sport. Its One of the main reasons I don't go to Caps games besides the insane cost. All to choreographed and fake feeling, but hey, that's just me, they pack in 18,000+ most nights.

29. Anonymous - Jan 12, 2012 at 6:09 PM

Whatever happened to that guy that posted up on Twitter 2 weeks ago that Fielder was signing with the Nats at 7 years for $23 million a year?

30. Anonymous - Jan 12, 2012 at 6:11 PM

Many Nats fans were at one time O's fans. Should we tell them not to show up at the Centerfield gates?

31. Just sayin' - Jan 12, 2012 at 6:12 PM

DFL – I assume lots of teams are interesting in signing PF 'on the relative cheap'; if his price comes down (defined as both years-in-contract and price-per-year), the market will have to reset and the list of who's in/who's out will change accordingly and significantly.

32. N. Cognito - Jan 12, 2012 at 6:13 PM

God forbid Boras should try to get his client the best contract possible.

33. Mark'd - Jan 12, 2012 at 6:17 PM

I remember up until 2 years ago that you could hear a few idiots yell O. Good point on Caps games. I'm a Caps fan with a little more respect and have emailed Leonsis (another one with LOSE in his name) to address the disrespectful mature during the National Anthem which he didn't respond to. I guess Leonsis has bigger problems these days.

34. The Great Unwashed - Jan 12, 2012 at 6:25 PM

I was going to suggest ignoring the Reply feature, but you beat me to it, Slidell. Good work.One other question: Is it just me, or do others find it annoying that when you click the comments link at the bottom of an article, it sends you to the comments box at the bottom of the thread? Then you have to scroll back up to read the comments. I usually don't want to post a comment before reading what others have written. This just started maybe a month ago. Has anyone else noticed that?

35. Anonymous - Jan 12, 2012 at 6:31 PM

The Dude AbidesJan 12, 2012 04:41 AMWell now at least the Anons that don't use a handle can see how little they are of influence on this site.Really, I respectfully must demur sir! But then there are already enough here who have "faux handles". Cute names they make up that really don't have profiles attached, or email addresses? Well kind of like YOU!! Dude. And no you don't abide, you anonymii as much as you might protest!

36. Anonymous - Jan 12, 2012 at 6:35 PM

One word: NO. Of course the trending thing in the DC area is for Redskins fans to go to Ravens games and root for them. Who would have even imagined? Not I that's for certain.

37. waddu eye no - Jan 12, 2012 at 6:44 PM

all for faux handles. that way we know which anonymous poster is which. but then what do i know?

38. Anonymous - Jan 12, 2012 at 6:47 PM

Kids eye view. Posted same link here yesterday.

39. Anonymous - Jan 12, 2012 at 6:49 PM

What purpose does it serve? Other than you have to type a time in addition to anon? Doesn't seem like its that many more than "waddu eye no"? Now does it?

40. Anonymous - Jan 12, 2012 at 6:51 PM

Boras now says it could go into early February before he signs. But Fielder would be there for Spring Training.

41. MicheleS - Jan 12, 2012 at 6:51 PM

Waddu..Thanks for the link.. I didn't see that one yesterday.

42. Anonymous - Jan 12, 2012 at 7:05 PM

Speaking of burly first basemen and Nats offensive bench threats. Looks like Crasnick AND Bowden are pushing hard for a Da Meat Hook rides again … Sure seems like a guy the Nats ought to consider taking a chance on Dmitri Young again given how much they've invested in him after his first comeback. I suspect this 38 year old coming off the bench would be far better than a guy named Matt "Stares" Stairs.

43. An economist - Jan 12, 2012 at 7:21 PM

Sure seems like a guy the Nats ought to consider taking a chance on Dmitri Young again given how much they've invested in him after his first comeback.====================================Please re-read the chapter on 'sunk costs' and report back to the class on why such a previous investment should not be factored into our future considerations.

44. From MLBTradeRumors... - Jan 12, 2012 at 8:10 PM

"The Brewers invited Fielder back on a one-year contract that would have set him up for a mega-deal with the Dodgers next winter, once the team has a new owner in place, Bill Shaikin of the LA Times tweets. However, Boras showed no interest in the Brewers' proposal."

45. DC Tom - Jan 12, 2012 at 8:42 PM

I'd be insulted were I Prince and I got that one-year offer from the Brewers, to "set him up for a mega-deal with the Dodgers next winter." Did they really think he's that much of a chump? No wonder the two sides parted ways early on in the process.

46. N. Cognito - Jan 12, 2012 at 8:45 PM

Joke of the Day: Manny Ramirez in a Nats uniform.

47. Anonymous - Jan 12, 2012 at 8:55 PM

next winter." Did they really think he's that much of a chump? No wonder the two sides parted ways early on in the process.Prince Fielder has been extremely fortunate up to this point. He pretty much played in almost every single game: no injuries. If he gets injured his value could go significantly down. It may be that taking a 1 year offer from the Dodgers, as opposed to the Brewers might suit him if all over avenues seem unattractive. But I suspect Ted Lerner will reel him in just the little animated flick over on Nats Enquirer shows … pretty hilarious.

48. N. Cognito - Jan 12, 2012 at 9:03 PM

Nats Mini-plans announced• Manager's Plan (15 games) – Create your own game plan.• Interleague Plan (14 games) – Catch the Nationals home opener and Interleague visits by the Yankees, Orioles and Rays.• Sunday Fun-Day Plan (13 games) – Enjoy Sunday baseball at Nationals Park.• Morse’s Unleash the Beast Plan (10 games) – Includes games vs. the Red Sox, Phillies and Braves.

49. DC Tom - Jan 12, 2012 at 9:05 PM

There's actual real news today:In about two and a half hours, Yoenis Cespedes will apparently play for Aguilas Cibaenas in the Dominican league semifinals tonight against Gigantes.Pitching for Gigantes will be Aquilino Lopez, a 36 year old righty who last pitched in the The Dominican league semifinals is an interesting round-robin of the top four teams in the league. Aquilas will play six games in the next six days — essentially a showcase.

50. natsfan1a - Jan 12, 2012 at 9:05 PM

Thanks, N. Cog! (And thanks to MicheleS from a few posts up. It just kinda fried me some of the stuff that was said about TH.)

51. NatsLady - Jan 12, 2012 at 9:17 PM

The mini-plans look great, but how can I make my decision if I don't know about the PF-Flyer????

52. DC Tom - Jan 12, 2012 at 9:17 PM

Prince has been lucky in terms of avoiding injury. Which is why if I'm him, there's no way I take a 1-year deal from anyone, regardless of how much or who makes the offer. It is far better for him to sign a 5 year deal for $18-20M per year than a one-year deal for even $25M. Obviously he'd prefer 10 years at $25M. But under no circumstances would a one-year deal make sense for him.One year contracts are for players that have to prove to the league that they can contribute so they can have a big payday in a year. Like Wang and Oswalt. Prince doesn't have to prove anything to anyone.

53. NatsLady - Jan 12, 2012 at 9:25 PM

Just sayin&#39 and Mark&#39dJust sayin' and Mark'd lost their apostrophes… aw…

54. Just sayin' - Jan 12, 2012 at 9:37 PM

And you found it for me! Thanks!

55. Just sayin' - Jan 12, 2012 at 9:38 PM

Or maybe not…

56. MicheleS - Jan 12, 2012 at 10:12 PM

Chase just posted a story on CSN about Davey needing eye surgery.. Let the jokes begin!

57. natsfan1a - Jan 12, 2012 at 10:40 PM

I noticed that piece, too. Hope that the surgery was successful and that there are no complications.

58. Anonymous - Jan 12, 2012 at 10:45 PM

True dat. Well … perhaps that he can do a Dmitri Young "Da Meat Hook" weight loss emulation? ;)

59. Anonymous - Jan 12, 2012 at 10:48 PM

Just in time! Barely! It takes about a month for everything to adjust to the new lens. But he should be 20-20 when the season begins.

60. Anonymous - Jan 12, 2012 at 11:07 PM

IN OTHER NL EAST IMPACT FA related NEWS:Last night on a radio interview, Marlins president David Sampson told Evan Ross that the Marlins would be going all in on Yoennis Cespedes. I did not hear the interview personally. However, from people who did hear it, I have heard that Sampson was drooling over Cespedes. He said something along the lines of “we have a position ready for him,” in that interview. Looks like the Marlins are strong favorites to land the Cuban defector.And Nats Enquirer's "sources" report that Mike Rizzo feels exactly the same way about Cespedes. Be interesting to see if that changes after Cespedes plays this weekend.

61. Anonymous - Jan 12, 2012 at 11:08 PM

Mark, Kilgore, Amanda, Tracee, anyone got anything?

62. Section 215 Row A - Jan 12, 2012 at 11:19 PM

Does anyone know if the Brewer's made any kind of offer to keep the PF Flyer?

63. Roberto - Jan 12, 2012 at 11:28 PM

Reported? Or speculated? I ask because I've seen scant evidence over the past few years that Loverro follows anything besides the Redskins very closely. Once upon a time he did and he was good at it but lately he is as versatile as Steve Czaban.

64. Joe Seamhead - Jan 13, 2012 at 12:58 AM

I'm an old time Senators fan. I always disliked the Orioles and never took them to heart. Before Camden Yards the Baltimore fans were cordial to the DC area fans, but after the new stadium was built the average blue collar Balmer baseball fan really didn't like the metro DC fan for coming to "their" stadium. Though Memorial Stadium was a hellhole, it had a great, very knowledgeable crowd. Camden Yards, at least in the beginning, was a place to be seen where there just happened to be a baseball game being played. Many of them reminded me of Mr. Veeck's quote saying,"the better the seats, the less they know about baseball." Afterwards, Baltimore did everything possible to block DC from getting MLB back. In spite of all that, I welcome all of the Orioles fans to Nats Park.

65. Joe Seamhead - Jan 13, 2012 at 1:01 AM

66. Farid @ Idaho - Jan 13, 2012 at 1:14 AM

I dislike the Orioles too, but they were one of just two "nay" votes among the A.L. owners that tried to stop Bob Short from moving to Texas in 1971. I know that it was a different time and a different regime, but I'll never forget that.

67. Anonymous - Jan 13, 2012 at 1:35 AM

1 year so that he could wait for a better market next year. Boras said no.

68. Gonat - Jan 13, 2012 at 1:57 AM

Cespedes is Plan G if Plan F with the PF Flyer doesn't fly.

69. Anonymous8 - Jan 13, 2012 at 2:17 AM

Cespedes debut in the Dominican tonight. I think they have struck him out 3 times. Hopefully it is just rust.

70. Section 222 - Jan 13, 2012 at 3:38 AM

I know that a manager's eyesight doesn't matter all that much, but DJ says that his eye problem affected his managing. Why didn't he just take a few days off and get the surgery during the season? Cataract surgery is no big deal. He could have been back in under a week. What, is he like a young pitcher who covers up an injury because he doesn't want to lose his spot in the rotation?

71. Dave - Jan 13, 2012 at 10:49 AM

With the new blog format, I can no longer even READ Nats Insider from the network at my school. We have an older version of Internet Explorer that will not even load up comment threads. Previously it had become impossible to comment, but I could at least read the threads and then comment from my iPhone if necessary. Now nothing at all.I too am beginning to get Fielder fatigue. I am very ready for something to happen–for Ankiel to get signed, for more bench help to come to the team (W. Harris?)of for pitchers and catchers to report. Anything.So I'll be checking in with NI once or twice a day from my home computer, I guess. Bah!

72. Dave - Jan 13, 2012 at 11:20 AM

Incidentally, my last post shows that I posted at 2:49 AM. Actually it was more like 6:49 AM. So the blog-clock's off, too.

73. Dave - Jan 13, 2012 at 1:39 PM

Oops. I meant 5:49. Whatever. Trying ti comment from the iPhone is also sometimes weird.