Jan 16, 2012, 11:33 PM EDT
US Presswire photo
Jesus Flores returned to the majors after missing two years with a shoulder injury.
The Nationals came to terms on a one-year, $815,000 contract with Jesus Flores today, avoiding arbitration with their backup catcher.
Flores receives a modest raise from his $750,000 salary from 2011, appropriate for a player who appeared in only 30 big-league games last season. The 27-year-old hit just .209 with one homer and two RBI over 91 plate appearances, but the numbers were less important than the fact he returned to action after missing two seasons with a major shoulder injury.
Though he lost his starting job behind the plate to Wilson Ramos, Flores re-established himself as a major leaguer, and the Nationals appear committed to him as their No. 2 catcher after watching him excel this winter in his native Venezuela. In 56 games for Navegantes del Magallanes, Flores hit .330 with eight homers, 39 RBI and a .514Read more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
WED: Diamondbacks at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
THU: Diamondbacks at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
FRI: Giants at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Giants at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Giants at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Strasburg gives Nats 'what the doctor ordered'
- Strasburg tames Diamondbacks in 8-1 victory
- Gonzalez on the Nats' rotation: 'I want to catch up' (VIDEO)
- Nats' McLouth to have shoulder surgery, out for season
- LaRoche, Desmond and Fister take on the ice bucket (VIDEO)
- Strasburg, Nationals go for eighth straight win against Arizona
- State of the Nationals' bullpen: Exhausted
- Around the NL East: Are the Marlins legit contenders?
- LaRoche finally gets to savor first walk-off homer
- Nats beat Diamondbacks in third straight walk-off win