Jan 16, 2012, 11:33 PM EDT
US Presswire photo
Jesus Flores returned to the majors after missing two years with a shoulder injury.
The Nationals came to terms on a one-year, $815,000 contract with Jesus Flores today, avoiding arbitration with their backup catcher.
Flores receives a modest raise from his $750,000 salary from 2011, appropriate for a player who appeared in only 30 big-league games last season. The 27-year-old hit just .209 with one homer and two RBI over 91 plate appearances, but the numbers were less important than the fact he returned to action after missing two seasons with a major shoulder injury.
Though he lost his starting job behind the plate to Wilson Ramos, Flores re-established himself as a major leaguer, and the Nationals appear committed to him as their No. 2 catcher after watching him excel this winter in his native Venezuela. In 56 games for Navegantes del Magallanes, Flores hit .330 with eight homers, 39 RBI and a .514Read more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
THU: Diamondbacks at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
FRI: Giants at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Giants at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Giants at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nats' Zimmerman takes significant step in recovery
- Nationals aim for team record 10th straight win vs. D-Backs
- Nationals' 9-game win streak is "absolutely epic"
- Are Nationals finally playing to full potential? (VIDEO)
- Mo'ne Davis and company have one more chance
- Young guns bat, slide Nationals to ninth-straight win
- Matt Williams projects when Ryan Zimmerman will return
- Span tabs Nats teammate & rival to do ice bucket challenge
- Williams debates keeping streak alive or long term health
- VIDEO: Bryce Harper's hair is on fire and he plays the ukulele