Jan 16, 2012, 12:00 PM EDT
US Presswire photo
Gio Gonzalez is now signed through 2016, with team options for 2017 and 2018.
There's been some debate this winter over the Nationals' planned timeline for success. Are they trying to win right now, or are they still focused on the future?
In some respects, the answer is: both. The Nats have every reason to believe they can win in 2012 if all the pieces fall into place, and they're certainly doing anything to attempt not to win right now. But neither are they doing anything that might hinder their chances to win down the road in a desperate attempt to enjoy immediate success.
Yesterday's signing of Gio Gonzalez to a long-term extension was a perfect example of that strategy.
The Gonzalez deal — five years for a guaranteed $42 million, plus a pair of one-year club options that could make the entire package worth $65 million — ensures the left-hander is locked up through at least 2016 and perhaps through 2018. It prevents him from ever needing to go toRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Mark Zuckerman on Jayson Werth's unfortunate injury news
- Werth could be out months after new test results on left wrist
- ‘Baseball in the District’ – Al Galdi and Daniel Shiferaw
- Stars shine in Nats' 9th straight series win
- Harper, Scherzer power Nationals past Cubs
- Nats Stock Watch: Scherzer showing why he's the ace
- One more category Bryce Harper leads the NL in
- Some good, some really ugly in Nats loss
- Cubs' farm team trolls Nats, Wizards after walk-off win
- Around the NL East: Another week of drama for the Marlins