Jan 18, 2012, 10:45 PM EDT
US Presswire file photo
Yu Darvish could cost the Rangers as much as $121.7 million in the end.
The Rangers and Yu Darvish had a 30-day window to work out a contract. They wound up using 29 days and more than 23 hours to get a deal done.
Darvish agreed to a six-year, $60 million contract with Texas shortly before today's 5 p.m. EST deadline, ending that saga and perhaps paving the way for Prince Fielder to finally sign with some club after a long winter of speculation.
But first, the details of Darvish's deal. He receives the largest package ever handed to a Japanese player, topping the six-year, $52 million contract Daisuke Matsuzaka signed with the Red Sox in 2007. That's on top of the record $51.7 million posting fee that will go to Darvish's former club, the Hokkaido Nippon Ham Fighters.
So that makes the total cost to acquire Darvish $111.7 million … except, there could still be more. The deal includes up to $10 million inRead more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals roster review: Tanner Roark
- Span will return to Nats, LaRoche & Soriano won't
- Trio of Nationals players become free agents
- Bumgarner, Giants beat KC 3-2 in Series Game 7
- Nationals roster review: Gio Gonzalez
- Giants, Royals battle in Game 7 for 2014 World Series title
- Nationals roster review: Doug Fister
- Royals hammer Peavy, Giants to force Game 7
- Giants can clinch 3rd World Series in 5 years in Game 6 at KC
- Ohlendorf taken off Nats' roster, becomes free agent