Jan 29, 2012, 11:00 AM EST
US Presswire photo
Bryce Harper tops the Nationals' highly ranked farm system.
A couple of items to clean out of the notebook on this Sunday morning, some tasty morsels for you to munch on with brunch…
– Do the Nationals have the best farm system in baseball? Or, to be more precise, did they have the best farm system in baseball as of one month ago? Yes, according to the industry leader in such matters.
Baseball America's annual Prospect Handbook came out last week. And lo and behold, look which organization took the top ranking: Your Washington Nationals.
There is, however, a caveat. The book went to print prior to the Gio Gonzalez trade. You know, the one that sent four of the Nats' top 13 prospects to the A's: Brad Peacock (No. 3), A.J. Cole (No. 4), Derek Norris (No. 9) and Tommy Milone (No. 13).
Had Baseball America waited until after the trade went down, it seems clear the Nationals would have ceded the top ranking to the Royals (whoRead more »
COUNTDOWN TO OPENING DAY
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Past failures fuel Barrett to bounce back
- Phillies lose to Division II baseball team in spring exhibition
- Live BP features Scherzer, broken bat, anthem
- Marlins ace Fernandez takes big step in Tommy John recovery
- Now a Dodger, Rollins says another NL East team was his 2nd choice
- Ex-Nats prospect could start for Braves in CF
- Harper wants to be a one team player
- Scherzer and Strasburg learning from each other
- Nationals' Saturday workout is a washout
- Nats sign veteran lefty Hill to minor-league deal