Jan 29, 2012, 11:00 AM EDT
US Presswire photo
Bryce Harper tops the Nationals' highly ranked farm system.
A couple of items to clean out of the notebook on this Sunday morning, some tasty morsels for you to munch on with brunch…
– Do the Nationals have the best farm system in baseball? Or, to be more precise, did they have the best farm system in baseball as of one month ago? Yes, according to the industry leader in such matters.
Baseball America's annual Prospect Handbook came out last week. And lo and behold, look which organization took the top ranking: Your Washington Nationals.
There is, however, a caveat. The book went to print prior to the Gio Gonzalez trade. You know, the one that sent four of the Nats' top 13 prospects to the A's: Brad Peacock (No. 3), A.J. Cole (No. 4), Derek Norris (No. 9) and Tommy Milone (No. 13).
Had Baseball America waited until after the trade went down, it seems clear the Nationals would have ceded the top ranking to the Royals (whoRead more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Purke, Taylor among latest round of Nats cuts
- Has Jimmy Rollins been benched in Philly?
- Roark gives up 3 runs in Nats loss
- Nationals split up to face Astros, Braves
- Prospects Cole, Rivero cut from big-league camp
- Desperate Braves sign Santana for $14 million
- The good, the bad and the ugly of Nats camp
- Zimmermann perfect against Sabathia, Yankees
- Fister could be ready for season's first week
- Zimmermann leads Nats against Yankees' Sabathia