Feb 3, 2012, 8:02 PM EDT
US Presswire photo
Edwin Jackson will earn $9 million this year, with another $2 million paid in 2013.
Somewhat lost amid the news of Edwin Jackson's signing and the domino effect it's going to have on the Nationals rotation is the financial impact of all this.
Even on a one-year rental, Jackson doesn't come cheap. The Nationals are committed to paying him $11 million for his services, though a source familiar with the contract said only $9 million of that will be paid this year, with another $2 million deferred to 2013.
Still, that's a good amount of money the Lerner family just doled out. It's actually the highest one-year salary the Nationals have ever paid to a pitcher.
And this unexpected February signing is going to bump the franchise's payroll to a level it's never seen before, perhaps reaching as high as $84 million come Opening Day. That would represent a 22 percentRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
FRI: Nats at Mariners, 10:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Mariners, 9:10 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Mariners, 4:10 p.m.
MON: Nats at Dodgers, 8:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Dodgers, 10:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Dodgers, 4:10 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Back-to-back struggles by Fister surprise Nats
- Phillies sweep red-hot Nationals
- LIVE THREAD: Nationals, Fister face Phillies on the road
- LaRoche confident back issue won't linger
- Can Doug Fister prevent Phillies from sweeping Nationals?
- The Nationals offense gets significantly quieter after blowout wins
- Gonzalez sees progress in latest start for Nats
- Nationals Stock Watch: Cabrera looking like a smart acquisition
- Nationals lament close call in loss to Phillies
- Nats struggle early, lose in controversial fashion to Phillies