Feb 3, 2012, 8:02 PM EDT
US Presswire photo
Edwin Jackson will earn $9 million this year, with another $2 million paid in 2013.
Somewhat lost amid the news of Edwin Jackson's signing and the domino effect it's going to have on the Nationals rotation is the financial impact of all this.
Even on a one-year rental, Jackson doesn't come cheap. The Nationals are committed to paying him $11 million for his services, though a source familiar with the contract said only $9 million of that will be paid this year, with another $2 million deferred to 2013.
Still, that's a good amount of money the Lerner family just doled out. It's actually the highest one-year salary the Nationals have ever paid to a pitcher.
And this unexpected February signing is going to bump the franchise's payroll to a level it's never seen before, perhaps reaching as high as $84 million come Opening Day. That would represent a 22 percentRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
x-Clinched division title
FRI: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Marlins, 1:10 p.m.
TUE: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
THU: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Gonzalez makes case for postseason start
- Bryce, Gio continue late-season surge in 6-2 win
- NL Playoff Outlook: What stars will give the Nationals trouble?
- LaRoche gets extra day off to rest ailing back
- Michael Jenkins takes walkoff pie to the face (VIDEO)
- Nats move on to Miami with Gio starting in hometown
- PHOTO: Kevin Durant rocks a Nats jersey
- UPDATE: Nats DFA Perez, claim Twins shortstop
- If healthy, Zimmerman should be in Nats lineup
- Post-clinch, Nationals rookies get chance to shine