Feb 5, 2012, 10:43 PM EDT
US Presswire photo
Rick Ankiel will return to the Nationals on a minor-league contract.
Still in search of a center fielder in the short term and a left-handed bat for their bench over the full season, the Nationals have re-signed Rick Ankiel to a minor-league contract with an invitation to spring training, a club source confirmed.
Ankiel, 32, hit .239 with nine homers, 37 RBI and a .296 on-base percentage last season with the Nats, but he made his real contribution to the team in the outfield, where his brilliant arm produced nine assists.
The veteran was holding out hope for a big-league deal and the possibility of an everyday job with another club, but he settled for a minor-league deal with the Nationals and a chance to make the roster out of spring training.
If general manager Mike Rizzo doesn’t add another center fielder, Ankiel should have a decent opportunity to win a spot in the Opening Day lineup and perhaps platoon with fellow veteran Mike Cameron in center field. Eventually, though, Bryce Harper’s promotion from the minors would likely push Jayson Werth to center field and bump Ankiel to the bench.
NL EAST STANDINGS
Through Friday's games
NL PLAYOFFS STANDINGS
Through Friday's games
SAT: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Marlins, 1:10 p.m.
TUE: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
THU: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
FRI: Marlins at Nats (DH), 1:05 p.m., 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nats rolling and about to become complete
- Fister, Nats do enough right to get by Marlins
- Zimmerman rejoining Nats, likely to play Saturday
- Fister seeks win No. 15 tonight in Miami
- His thumb healthy, Harper tearing it up at plate
- Gonzalez makes case for postseason start
- Bryce, Gio continue late-season surge in 6-2 win
- NL Playoff Outlook: What stars will give the Nationals trouble?
- LaRoche gets extra day off to rest ailing back
- MLB Power Rankings: Tigers righting the ship