Feb 6, 2012, 8:38 PM EDT
US Presswire photo
Mark Teahen hit .200 with four homers last season for the White Sox and Blue Jays.
Still seeking some more bench options, the Nationals today announced they’ve signed veteran corner infielder Mark Teahen to a minor-league contract with an invitation to spring training.
Teahen, 30, is a career .264 hitter with 67 homers, 332 RBI and a .327 on-base percentage in parts of seven seasons with the Royals, White Sox and Blue Jays. Once considered an up-and-coming third baseman in the Kansas City system, he’s become more of a utilityman in recent years, learning to play first base as well as both corner outfield positions.
A left-handed hitter, Teahen struggled last season, batting .200 with four homers, 14 RBI and a .273 on-base percentage in 78 combined games with Chicago and Toronto.
Though he’ll have a chance to crack the Nationals’ Opening Day roster, he’ll face long odds. More likely, he’ll head to Class AAA Syracuse and serve as insurance in case the Nationals need help down the road.
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
NL POSTSEASON SCHEDULE
WED: Giants at Pirates, 8:07 p.m. (ESPN)
FRI: Game 1, Pirates at Nats, 12:07 p.m.,
OR Giants at Nats, 3:07 p.m. (FS1)
SAT: Game 2, PIT/SF at Nats, 5:37 p.m. (FS1)
MON: Game 3, Nats at PIT/SF, TBA (MLBN)
OCT. 7: Game 4, Nats at PIT/SF, TBA (FS1)*
OCT. 9: Game 5, PIT/SF at Nats, TBA (FS1)*
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Game thread: Who will advance in AL Wild Card game?
- Bryce Harper to play showcase in Japan after MLB playoffs
- MLB postseason begins tonight: Wild Card playoff preview
- 5 questions facing the Nationals in the postseason
- Nats finding ways to stay sharp (VIDEO)
- Games 1 and 2 at Nationals Park will be matinees
- Revisiting Opening Day predictions on the Nats
- Zimmermann named NL Player of the Week for 2nd time this year
- Nats' plan to stay fresh before Game 1 of the NLDS
- Denard Span sets Nats hits record to add to special day