Feb 6, 2012, 8:38 PM EDT
US Presswire photo
Mark Teahen hit .200 with four homers last season for the White Sox and Blue Jays.
Still seeking some more bench options, the Nationals today announced they’ve signed veteran corner infielder Mark Teahen to a minor-league contract with an invitation to spring training.
Teahen, 30, is a career .264 hitter with 67 homers, 332 RBI and a .327 on-base percentage in parts of seven seasons with the Royals, White Sox and Blue Jays. Once considered an up-and-coming third baseman in the Kansas City system, he’s become more of a utilityman in recent years, learning to play first base as well as both corner outfield positions.
A left-handed hitter, Teahen struggled last season, batting .200 with four homers, 14 RBI and a .273 on-base percentage in 78 combined games with Chicago and Toronto.
Though he’ll have a chance to crack the Nationals’ Opening Day roster, he’ll face long odds. More likely, he’ll head to Class AAA Syracuse and serve as insurance in case the Nationals need help down the road.
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Mark Zuckerman gives his take on Harper, Williams ejections
- Harper stories from his college teammate, Chasen Shreve
- Scherzer on his start, chocolate sauce & Harper-Miggy
- That time Stephen Strasburg was on Letterman
- After shaky 1st inning, Zimmermann cruises
- Nationals Stock Watch: Other hot bats besides Harper
- Hershey's pitches in to help Nationals continue sweet celebrations
- Harper, Williams strongly disagree with ejections from win vs. Yankees
- Harper and Williams ejected again, Nats rally again
- Harper, Williams ejected vs. Yankees on Wednesday night