Feb 6, 2012, 8:38 PM EDT
US Presswire photo
Mark Teahen hit .200 with four homers last season for the White Sox and Blue Jays.
Still seeking some more bench options, the Nationals today announced they’ve signed veteran corner infielder Mark Teahen to a minor-league contract with an invitation to spring training.
Teahen, 30, is a career .264 hitter with 67 homers, 332 RBI and a .327 on-base percentage in parts of seven seasons with the Royals, White Sox and Blue Jays. Once considered an up-and-coming third baseman in the Kansas City system, he’s become more of a utilityman in recent years, learning to play first base as well as both corner outfield positions.
A left-handed hitter, Teahen struggled last season, batting .200 with four homers, 14 RBI and a .273 on-base percentage in 78 combined games with Chicago and Toronto.
Though he’ll have a chance to crack the Nationals’ Opening Day roster, he’ll face long odds. More likely, he’ll head to Class AAA Syracuse and serve as insurance in case the Nationals need help down the road.
NL EAST STANDINGS
TUE: Nats at Braves, 7:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Braves, 7:10 p.m.
THU: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Marlins, 1:10 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- After nailbiter, Nationals on the cusp of a clinch
- Strasburg dominates as Nats win 4-2
- Harper latest Nats player to come down with bug
- LaRoche named finalist for Man of Year award
- Zimmerman ready for game action in Viera
- Strasburg tries to exorcise Atlanta demons
- Nationals putting NLDS tickets on sale Monday
- State of the Nats: Nationals can clinch this week against rivals
- Can the Nationals clinch in Atlanta this week?
- Nationals lower magic number to four, top Mets