Feb 6, 2012, 3:00 PM EST
US Presswire photo
Rick Ankiel and Roger Bernadina will be competing for playing time in center field.
Another Super Bowl has come and gone — what an equally thrilling and bizarre finish that was last night, huh? — and that can mean only one thing: Pitchers and catchers will be reporting for work in less than two weeks.
Yes, baseball season is nearly upon us and we can finally turn our attention away from what moves the Nationals did or did not make this winter and instead focus on what actually takes place on the field.
Which means it's time to start looking at roster battles that will play out this spring in Viera. We already know the final spot in the Nationals' rotation is going to make for a doozy of a saga. And with yesterday's re-signing of Rick Ankiel to a minor-league contract, it sure looks like the competition in center field is going to be wide-open with Ankiel, Mike Cameron and Roger Bernadina fighting for playing time. Unless, of course, Bryce Harper convinces GM Mike Rizzo to make him the Opening Day right fielder, bumping Jayson Werth to center field.
There are going to be no shortage of possibilities, and there could still be plenty of changes via either trades or last-minute signings. But for now, here's how the Nationals' depth chart stands at every position. All players scheduled to be in big-league camp (those on the 40-man roster, plus non-roster invitees) are listed below…
Jesus FloresRead more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Report: Yankees tried to trade for Phillies SS Jimmy Rollins
- A reason for each MLB team to be thankful this Thanksgiving
- Who's better right now?
- Point/Counterpoint: Biggest threat in NL East in 2015?
- Nats' Fedde hits milestone in Tommy John recovery
- Charlie Manuel almost returned to baseball as O's hitting coach
- How much money can the Nats spend this winter?
- With Hamels trade rumors, Phillies are staying patient
- MLB postseason shares released, including Nats
- Former Nats outfielder Josh Willingham retires