Feb 9, 2012, 9:47 PM EDT
US Presswire file photo
Nick Johnson hit .286 with a .416 on-base percentage for the Nats from 2005-09.
It wasn't so long ago when Nick Johnson was considered a major part of the Nationals' future. Sadly, a string of freak injuries derailed the first baseman's career and never allowed him to realize his full potential.
Johnson hasn't played in the big leagues since 2010, and he's still yet to make it through an entire season without spending time on the disabled list. But he'll get a chance to make it back this spring after agreeing to a minor-league contract with the Orioles today, according to multiple reports.
Now 33 years old, Johnson is far removed from his best days with the Nationals (he hit .286 with a .416 on-base percentage in 414 games from 2005-09).
But if healthy, he still possesses some top-notch skills. His .401 career on-base percentage ranks seventh among all active players with at leastRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
MON: All-Star break
TUE: All-Star Game at Minneapolis, 8 p.m.
WED: All-Star break
THU: All-Star break
FRI: Brewers at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Brewers at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SUN: Brewers at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- State of the Nats: All-Star break gives Nationals time off
- Nationals' Jayson Werth heating up at a familiar time
- Halfway in, Nationals are finally hitting their stride (VIDEO)
- Nationals trounce Phillies, 10-3, roll into All-Star break
- Nationals reliever Tyler Clippard added to All-Star roster
- Roark, Nats aim to end first half on a high note in Philly
- Zimmerman delivers latest game-winner for Nats
- Instant analysis: Nats 5, Phillies 3 (10)
- Zimmermann likely to avoid DL with biceps strain
- Strasburg faces Hamels in pitching showdown