Feb 10, 2012, 12:00 PM EST
US Presswire file photo
Stephen Strasburg is having his number retired at San Diego State.
Some news and notes to chew on as the countdown to spring training reaches single digits at long last…
— Stephen Strasburg, as surely you know by now, is no attention hog. If anything, he goes out of his way to avoid the spotlight. But the big right-hander reserves a special place in his heart for San Diego State University, and he's always happy to serve as a spokesman for his alma mater, especially when attempting to raise funds and awareness for its baseball program.
Next week, the Aztecs will return the favor to their most-famous alum not named Tony Gwynn: They're retiring his No. 37 jersey prior to next Friday's season opener against Washington.
It's a special honor for Strasburg, who grew up in San Diego and became a star pitching for his hometown college. Undrafted out of high school, he was initially an overweight middle reliever at SDSU beforeRead more »
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Craig Stammen signs minor league deal with Cleveland
- Report: Tyler Clippard signs deal with NL West club
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Los Angeles Dodgers
- Bryce Harper shows off Redskins hat en route to Super Bowl
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Can Joe Ross take the next step?
- Nationals sign veteran infielder to minor league deal
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Can Gio Gonzalez be more consistent?
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Stephen Strasburg's contract year
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Detroit Tigers
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Colorado Rockies