Feb 12, 2012, 12:00 PM EDT
US Presswire photo
Drew Storen is one of 21 current players acquired after Mike Rizzo became GM in 2009.
There's no question the roster that will gather in Viera one week from today will be the most talented one in the Nationals' brief history. It took eight years, but this franchise will finally open spring training with a legitimate chance to contend.
For that, plenty of credit has to go to Mike Rizzo, who since taking over as general manager in 2009 has overhauled the Nationals' big-league roster, not to mention its front-office, coaching staff, scouting department and minor-league staff.
But Rizzo isn't responsible for acquiring the entire roster. Of the 38 players on the current 40-man roster, 21 were drafted, signed or otherwise obtained during Rizzo's tenure as GM. Another eight were acquired when Rizzo served as assistant GM and vice president of baseball operations (from July 2006-March 2009).
That leaves six players drafted in 2005 and 2006, during Jim Bowden's tenure as GM but before Rizzo joined the organization. And then there are the last three links to the Expos: Ian Desmond (drafted by MontrealRead more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Bryce Harper benched in Nats' loss to Cardinals for 'lack of hustle'
- Anthony Rendon error costs Nationals in loss to Cardinals
- Nats activate Denard Span from 7-day DL, option Steven Souza, Jr.
- Zimmermann, Nats look for two in a row vs. Cardinals
- Drew Storen comes through in Nats' 3-1 win over Cardinals
- Nationals respond to Williams' challenge, beat Cards
- Nats strike early on Wacha, beat Cardinals 3-1
- Span to join Nats on Saturday after second rehab game
- Ramos takes first swings since breaking left hand
- Denard Span on track to return to Nats this weekend