Feb 13, 2012, 12:00 PM EST
US Presswire photo
Jayson Werth can only hope his second year in a Nats uniform is better than his first.
With pitchers and catchers due to report Sunday, we've reached the home stretch of the offseason. All week, we'll count down the five biggest storylines facing the Nationals at spring training. Today, it's storyline No. 5: Players who need to bounce back from a rough 2011…
Jayson Werth sat before a room full of reporters, cameras and microphones on Dec. 15, 2010, and gave a blunt answer to a question plenty of observers were wondering after the Nationals handed the right fielder $126 million: How much pressure will you feel after signing one of the largest contracts in baseball history?
"I don't foresee any undue pressure," Werth said. "I just want to go out there and play my game."
Fourteen months later, it's hard to believe Werth didn't succumb to some amount of pressure in his first season in Washington. How else to explain his worst offensive numbers in six years: a .232 average, .718Read more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2013 schedule (subject to change)...
TUE: 12:45 p.m., 4:30 p.m.
WED: 2:30 p.m.
THU: 4:30 p.m.
FRI: 12:45 p.m., 2:30 p.m.
SAT: 9:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Point/Counterpoint: How good will Fister be?
- Sean Casey: Doug Fister is 'huge for the Nationals'
- Marlins sign Rafael Furcal, what are they up to?
- With Ellsbury & McCann, Yankees could be just getting started
- Report: Nats interested in lefty Scott Downs
- Market is thinning of left-handers
- Does Saltalamacchia show the Marlins are serious for 2014?
- VIDEO: Analysis of Fister trade
- Non-tendered players could interest Nats
- Yankees, Ellsbury near $153M, 7-yr deal