Feb 16, 2012, 12:00 PM EDT
US Presswire photo
Chien-Ming Wang appears to enter camp with a leg up for the final rotation spot.
With pitchers and catchers due to report Sunday, we've reached the home stretch of the offseason. All week, we'll count down the five biggest storylines facing the Nationals at spring training. Today, it's storyline No. 2: How to turn a seven-man rotation into a five-man rotation…
The Nationals have held spring training battles to determine their No. 5 starter before. It's just that those competitions pitted the likes of Scott Olsen vs. Garrett Mock, or Jerome Williams vs. Jason Simontacchi.
This spring's battle, on the other hand, is unlike anything this franchise has ever seen before.
In one corner stands Chien-Ming Wang, a two-time 19-game winner for the Yankees and the AL Cy Young Award runner-up in 2006. In another corner stands John Lannan, the stalwart of the Nationals' rotation the last four seasons and last year's staff leader in wins, starts and inningsRead more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals roster review: Tanner Roark
- Span will return to Nats, LaRoche & Soriano won't
- Trio of Nationals players become free agents
- Bumgarner, Giants beat KC 3-2 in Series Game 7
- Nationals roster review: Gio Gonzalez
- Giants, Royals battle in Game 7 for 2014 World Series title
- Nationals roster review: Doug Fister
- Royals hammer Peavy, Giants to force Game 7
- Giants can clinch 3rd World Series in 5 years in Game 6 at KC
- Ohlendorf taken off Nats' roster, becomes free agent