Feb 19, 2012, 4:34 PM EDT
US Presswire file photo
Mike Cameron never made it to Nationals camp before deciding to retire.
VIERA, Fla. — Veteran outfielder Mike Cameron, who was expected to make the Nationals' roster as at least part of a center field platoon, has instead informed the club he will retire.
Cameron, 39, had a locker prepared at Space Coast Stadium, and his No. 44 jersey was hanging from it this morning as pitchers and catchers officially reported for spring training. The three-time Gold Glove Award winner, though, informed the Nationals of his decision before ever arriving in Viera, throwing something of a wrench into the club's short-term plans.
Though Cameron was due to participate in camp on a minor-league contract, he was expected to make the Opening Day roster and share the center field job with Rick Ankiel and/or Roger Bernadina, serving as the right-handed half of a platoon. The Nationals now will either have to find another right-handed-hitting center fielder, let either Ankiel orRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
Through Friday's games
NL PLAYOFFS STANDINGS
Through Friday's games
SAT: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Marlins, 1:10 p.m.
TUE: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
THU: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
FRI: Marlins at Nats (DH), 1:05 p.m., 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nats rolling and about to become complete
- Fister, Nats do enough right to get by Marlins
- Zimmerman rejoining Nats, likely to play Saturday
- Fister seeks win No. 15 tonight in Miami
- His thumb healthy, Harper tearing it up at plate
- Gonzalez makes case for postseason start
- Bryce, Gio continue late-season surge in 6-2 win
- NL Playoff Outlook: What stars will give the Nationals trouble?
- LaRoche gets extra day off to rest ailing back
- MLB Power Rankings: Tigers righting the ship