Feb 20, 2012, 9:09 PM EDT
US Presswire file photo
Bryce Harper enters his second big-league camp feeling more comfortable.
VIERA, Fla. — Bryce Harper reported for spring training today and made it clear what he must do to be included on the Nationals' Opening Day roster.
"I'm going to come in here, work as hard as I can, keep my mouth shut and play," he said.
In truth, the 19-year-old's path to Wrigley Field on April 5 is a bit more complicated than that. Simply showing up to camp, working hard and keeping his mouth closed isn't going to guarantee Harper anything.
But the gregarious right fielder does seem to understand that the spotlight will be fixed on him for the next six weeks, and it's up to him to prove he's ready to handle the attention … not to mention big-league pitching.
One year ago, Harper (barely 18 and barely removed from high school) reported for his first professional spring training and looked the part. HeRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
WED: Nats at Phillies, 7:35 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Mariners, 10:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Mariners, 9:10 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Mariners, 4:10 p.m.
MON: Nats at Dodgers, 8:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Dodgers, 10:10 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals lament close call in loss to Phillies
- Nats struggle early, lose in controversial fashion to Phillies
- LaRoche gets rare night off with tight back
- Gonzalez faces Hamels in showdown of southpaws
- Nats' Triple-A affiliate Syracuse raking in postseason awards
- A primer on postseason roster eligibility rules
- Around the NL East: Stanton making strong push for NL MVP
- Nationals can't pull off dramatic rally this time
- Nats' momentum stalls vs. Phillies in first game of long road trip
- Cabrera out of lineup, but not seriously injured