Feb 20, 2012, 9:09 PM EDT
US Presswire file photo
Bryce Harper enters his second big-league camp feeling more comfortable.
VIERA, Fla. — Bryce Harper reported for spring training today and made it clear what he must do to be included on the Nationals' Opening Day roster.
"I'm going to come in here, work as hard as I can, keep my mouth shut and play," he said.
In truth, the 19-year-old's path to Wrigley Field on April 5 is a bit more complicated than that. Simply showing up to camp, working hard and keeping his mouth closed isn't going to guarantee Harper anything.
But the gregarious right fielder does seem to understand that the spotlight will be fixed on him for the next six weeks, and it's up to him to prove he's ready to handle the attention … not to mention big-league pitching.
One year ago, Harper (barely 18 and barely removed from high school) reported for his first professional spring training and looked the part. HeRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
Through Monday's games
NL PLAYOFFS STANDINGS
y-Clinched playoff berth
Through Monday's early games
TUE: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
THU: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
FRI: Marlins at Nats (DH), 1:05 p.m., 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Marlins at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Marlins at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
(End of regular season)
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Yankees claim former Nats OF prospect off waivers
- State of the Nats: Final week before playoffs brings tough decisions
- Braves fire GM Frank Wren after missing playoff
- Report: Braves likely to make 'significant' changes this winter
- LaRoche: Nats unlikely to bring me back in '15
- PHOTO: Nats get hero's welcome at Dulles on Sunday night
- As October looms, Strasburg and Nats are peaking
- Strasburg solves struggles in Miami, Nats win 2-1
- Barrett's role expanding with September surge
- Strasburg starts, but several regulars sit today