Feb 20, 2012, 7:53 PM EST
US Presswire file photo
Anthony Rendon was drafted out of Rice as a third baseman.
VIERA, Fla. — Anthony Rendon was just beginning his junior season at Rice University one year ago. This morning, the 21-year-old was sitting at his locker inside the Nationals' clubhouse, a bona fide member of the spring training roster, and trying not to pinch himself.
Rendon knows he has no chance to make the Opening Day roster. He hasn't even played an inning of minor-league ball since the Nationals drafted him sixth overall last June. But he should get plenty out of his first professional spring training, most notably an opportunity to work at multiple infield positions.
Drafted as a third baseman, Rendon expects to see time at both shortstop and second base this spring after meeting with manager Davey Johnson this morning.
"I just talked to skipper, and he said I'll probably be moving around from third to short and second," Rendon said. "He said he wanted toRead more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- How the Nats' trade impacts Desmond's future
- Nats trade Souza in 3-team deal, get Turner from Padres
- Report: Mets may not pitch Harvey vs. Nats on Opening Day
- Souza's name crops up in complex trade talks
- Clippard: 'I hope we all stay together for at least one more shot'
- Nats GM Mike Rizzo explains trading Detwiler; talks prospects
- Nats announce date pitchers and catchers will report to Viera
- Nationals react to Detwiler and LaRoche leaving this offseason
- Ian Desmond goes 1-on-1 with Mark Zuckerman at Nats Fest
- Zuckerman on the Nats and Bryce Harper's contract settlement