Feb 20, 2012, 2:00 PM EDT
VIERA, Fla. — Good morning again from Space Coast Stadium, where today pitchers and catchers (plus the coaching staff) undergo their annual physicals. Thankfully, they don't make the reporters do this, because the results wouldn't be pretty. Let's just say none of us showed up to camp in the best shape of our lives.
Though position players don't officially report until Thursday, plenty have already arrived in camp, including Jayson Werth, Ryan Zimmerman, Danny Espinosa, Ian Desmond, Rick Ankiel, Steve Lombardozzi and Roger Bernadina. I suspect we'll see even more new faces today.
The one guy we definitely won't see, of course, is Mike Cameron, who surprisingly announced his retirement yesterday morning before ever donning a Nationals uniform once. The Cameron news elicited quite a response, both from ex-teammates, coaches and reporters who raved about the quality ballplayer and man he is, and also from fans who are trying to figure what this all means for the Nationals.
Really, this shouldn't have a huge impact on things in Nats camp. Yes, Cameron was expected to make the club and share the center field job with either Ankiel or Bernadina. But he wasn't expected to hold that jobRead more »
COUNTDOWN TO OPENING DAY
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Rizzo not looking for outside help despite injuries
- Reliever Janssen needs MRI on shoulder
- Miami Marlins name Opening Day starter
- Nats and Marlins starters meet in tune-up
- Uggla hoping for starting job, not bench role with Nats
- AL East team scouting Phillies' Jonathan Papelbon
- Report: Nats making lefty relievers available for trade
- Strasburg labors in return from ankle sprain
- Former Nats OF released by Texas Rangers; Ohlendorf to Triple-A
- Nats announce season-opening rotation order