Feb 20, 2012, 2:00 PM EDT
VIERA, Fla. — Good morning again from Space Coast Stadium, where today pitchers and catchers (plus the coaching staff) undergo their annual physicals. Thankfully, they don't make the reporters do this, because the results wouldn't be pretty. Let's just say none of us showed up to camp in the best shape of our lives.
Though position players don't officially report until Thursday, plenty have already arrived in camp, including Jayson Werth, Ryan Zimmerman, Danny Espinosa, Ian Desmond, Rick Ankiel, Steve Lombardozzi and Roger Bernadina. I suspect we'll see even more new faces today.
The one guy we definitely won't see, of course, is Mike Cameron, who surprisingly announced his retirement yesterday morning before ever donning a Nationals uniform once. The Cameron news elicited quite a response, both from ex-teammates, coaches and reporters who raved about the quality ballplayer and man he is, and also from fans who are trying to figure what this all means for the Nationals.
Really, this shouldn't have a huge impact on things in Nats camp. Yes, Cameron was expected to make the club and share the center field job with either Ankiel or Bernadina. But he wasn't expected to hold that jobRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
TUE: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Marlins, 12:40 p.m.
THU: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
FRI: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SUN: Phillies at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Orioles at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Werth hopes to play Tuesday after spraining ankle
- Nationals surrender four runs in 9th, fall 7-6 to Marlins
- Span proving skeptics wrong with summer surge
- Zimmermann, Nationals go fishing in Miami
- State of the Nats: Deal or no deal before the MLB trade deadline?
- Consistency propels Nationals to NL's best record
- Nationals hang on to beat Reds 4-2
- Instant analysis: Reds 1, Nationals 0
- Roark, Nats win 4-1, hand Reds seventh-straight loss
- Denard Span leading the way for Nats in July