Feb 21, 2012, 12:00 PM EST
US Presswire file photo
Davey Johnson expects big things from the Nationals this season and beyond.
VIERA, Fla. — Spend 30 minutes listening to Davey Johnson talk about his Nationals, about the talent being assembled on this roster, about the potential it has to win big in the very near future. It's difficult not to buy into what the guy is selling.
When Johnson says this Nationals squad has a chance to be better than the 1984 Mets franchise he inherited and watched improve from 90 wins to 98 wins to 108 wins and a World Series title in just three seasons … well, who are you to argue with the man?
"This club has more potential than that club," Johnson insisted yesterday. "It actually has more athletes. It has a lot of gifted athletes."
"The potential I see on this ballclub is pretty damn high," he added. "And it's going to be my job to see that we play like it."
Johnson has never been afraid to tell you what he really thinks. He doesn't sugarcoat the bad stuff, and he doesn't oversell the good stuff. He also doesn't deflect praise being sent in his general direction. PayRead more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2013 schedule (subject to change)...
TUE: 12:45 p.m., 4:30 p.m.
WED: 2:30 p.m.
THU: 4:30 p.m.
FRI: 12:45 p.m., 2:30 p.m.
SAT: 9:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Sean Casey: Doug Fister is 'huge for the Nationals'
- Marlins sign Rafael Furcal, what are they up to?
- With Ellsbury & McCann, Yankees could be just getting started
- Report: Nats interested in lefty Scott Downs
- Market is thinning of left-handers
- Does Saltalamacchia show the Marlins are serious for 2014?
- VIDEO: Analysis of Fister trade
- Non-tendered players could interest Nats
- Yankees, Ellsbury near $153M, 7-yr deal
- Fister "excited" about trade to Nationals