Feb 21, 2012, 7:14 PM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Stephen Strasburg throws off a mound under the watchful eye of Davey Johnson.
VIERA, Fla. — Workout No. 1 of the spring has come and gone, wrapped up in a tidy 90 minutes or so per manager Davey Johnson's instructions.
Nine pitchers threw off the bullpen mounds this morning, headlined by Stephen Strasburg, Chien-Ming Wang and Drew Storen. (Gio Gonzalez and Sean Burnett were supposed to join them but instead were whisked away to a batting tunnel to throw their pitches in front of cameras filming scoreboard videos for the regular season.)
Johnson had some hard-and-fast rules in place for this first throwing session: Fastballs and changeups only. No breaking balls, though a couple of guys tried to sneak some cutters in and pass them off as fastballs.
Pitchers also weren't throwing at 100 percent quite yet, so it's tough to put much stock in their performances. That said, both Strasburg andRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
TUE: Nats at Dodgers, 10:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Dodgers, 3:10 p.m.
FRI: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Phillies at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Phillies at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Braves at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals hold on to beat Dodgers, open big series with win
- Phillies call up top prospect for September
- Nationals open big series in Los Angeles
- Astros fire manager Bo Porter, who came from Nats
- Nationals promote 6 players in September call-ups
- State of the Nats: Nationals-Dodgers could be playoff preview
- Nats' numbers in August were off the charts
- Three homers not enough in 5-3 Nationals loss to Seattle
- Nationals go for series sweep in Seattle
- Strasburg pitches gem as Nats beat Mariners 3-1