Feb 21, 2012, 3:06 PM EDT
US Presswire file photo
Chris Marrero tore his hamstring in the Dominican Republic in November.
VIERA, Fla. — In an otherwise empty Space Coast Stadium early this morning, Chris Marrero started jogging up and down stairs, going section by section from one side of the ballpark to the other.
While the rest of his teammates prepare for Opening Day, Marrero can only perform these mundane exercises, still recovering from a torn hamstrung suffered in November while playing in the Dominican Republic.
"Not too much so far," he said, adding: "I'm just doing whatever I can. Strengthening and working on flexibility."
It's going to be a long and frustrating spring for Marrero, who won't be able to head north with the rest of the club for Opening Day. There's no official timetable for his return, but it's not expected to come before July.
"I'm not sure," he said. "It just depends on how my body feels."
The injury came at a most inopportune moment for Marrero, the Nationals' top draft pick in 2006 who made his major-league debut inRead more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Gio Gonzalez pulled from Nats' win with left shoulder tightness
- LaRoche's walk-off hit saves Nationals from sweep vs. Angels
- Former Senators pitcher Connie Marrero passes away
- Injury updates on Zimmerman and Hairston
- Baseball in the District: Thom Loverro of ESPN 980 talks Nats
- Gio, Nationals try to avoid getting swept by Angels
- Nationals Stock Watch: Harper has rough week
- How secure is struggling Jordan's rotation spot?
- Pujols gets 500th, Nats fall to Angels
- Pujols launches 500th homer at Nationals' expense