Feb 21, 2012, 3:06 PM EDT
US Presswire file photo
Chris Marrero tore his hamstring in the Dominican Republic in November.
VIERA, Fla. — In an otherwise empty Space Coast Stadium early this morning, Chris Marrero started jogging up and down stairs, going section by section from one side of the ballpark to the other.
While the rest of his teammates prepare for Opening Day, Marrero can only perform these mundane exercises, still recovering from a torn hamstrung suffered in November while playing in the Dominican Republic.
"Not too much so far," he said, adding: "I'm just doing whatever I can. Strengthening and working on flexibility."
It's going to be a long and frustrating spring for Marrero, who won't be able to head north with the rest of the club for Opening Day. There's no official timetable for his return, but it's not expected to come before July.
"I'm not sure," he said. "It just depends on how my body feels."
The injury came at a most inopportune moment for Marrero, the Nationals' top draft pick in 2006 who made his major-league debut inRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- No DL yet, but Span bracing for possibility
- Nats lose as Reds rock Scherzer in rare poor outing
- How Scherzer decision could make another National an All-Star
- Span gets MRI; plus updates on Escobar and Zim
- Scherzer, Cueto face off as Nats take on Reds
- Fister still working out mechanical glitches
- Nationals again can't beat struggling Reds
- Span, Escobar exit game vs. Reds with apparent injuries
- Max Scherzer gets All-Star nod, two Nats left out
- Live Thread: Nationals open series vs. Reds