Feb 22, 2012, 3:25 PM EDT
US Presswire file photo
Mark DeRosa joins the Nationals after two injury-plagued seasons with the Giants.
VIERA, Fla. — When a tendon in his left wrist snapped last May while he stood in the batter's box watching a Clayton Kershaw breaking ball hit the dirt in front of him, Mark DeRosa had no idea if he'd ever play again.
Watch the video of that bizarre, non-contact injury taking place and you can read DeRosa's lips as a Giants trainer comes rushing out to check on him: "I'm done."
Nine months later, the veteran utilityman (he turns 37 on Sunday) feels a whole lot better about his chances of not only playing in the big leagues for years to come, but of regaining the power stroke that made him such a valuable player before his ongoing wrist troubles derailed his career.
"To be honest with you, since I ruptured it, that's the best it's felt," DeRosa said this morning after reporting to Nationals camp. "I was able to come back last year after rehabbing and play in September andRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
Through Monday's games
NL PLAYOFFS STANDINGS
y-Clinched playoff berth
Through Monday's games
TUE: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
THU: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
FRI: Marlins at Nats (DH), 1:05 p.m., 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Marlins at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Marlins at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
(End of regular season)
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Span leaves Tuesday's game with possible injury
- Division champ Nats come home for final week
- Zimmermann may be pushed back a day with bruised shoulder
- Zimmerman sits out vs. Mets after feeling soreness over weekend
- Around the NL East: Big offseasons ahead
- Predicting who makes the Nationals' playoff roster
- Yankees claim former Nats OF prospect off waivers
- State of the Nats: Final week before playoffs brings tough decisions
- Braves fire GM Frank Wren after missing playoff
- Report: Braves likely to make 'significant' changes this winter