Feb 22, 2012, 3:25 PM EDT
US Presswire file photo
Mark DeRosa joins the Nationals after two injury-plagued seasons with the Giants.
VIERA, Fla. — When a tendon in his left wrist snapped last May while he stood in the batter's box watching a Clayton Kershaw breaking ball hit the dirt in front of him, Mark DeRosa had no idea if he'd ever play again.
Watch the video of that bizarre, non-contact injury taking place and you can read DeRosa's lips as a Giants trainer comes rushing out to check on him: "I'm done."
Nine months later, the veteran utilityman (he turns 37 on Sunday) feels a whole lot better about his chances of not only playing in the big leagues for years to come, but of regaining the power stroke that made him such a valuable player before his ongoing wrist troubles derailed his career.
"To be honest with you, since I ruptured it, that's the best it's felt," DeRosa said this morning after reporting to Nationals camp. "I was able to come back last year after rehabbing and play in September andRead more »
COUNTDOWN TO OPENING DAY
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nats nearly doubled in franchise value from 2014 to 2015
- Gonzalez settles down, with help from Scherzer
- Former Nats pitcher earns rotation spot with Texas Rangers
- Ian Desmond ranks highly among shortstops, according to ESPN
- Gio Gonzalez faces Mets in Viera
- Harper sidelined as Nats' injuries continue to mount
- Who should Nats' tab as Rendon's fill-in?
- Podcast: 'Baseball in the District' - Mark Zuckerman & Marc Carig
- Scherzer dominates Cardinals' "A" lineup
- Harper on criticism, hopes for 2015: 'I want to do damage'