Feb 22, 2012, 11:31 PM EST
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
2011 draft pick Matt Purke throws during his bullpen session today.
VIERA, Fla. — Day 2 of formal workouts featured a host of prominent pitchers in the bullpen: Jordan Zimmermann, Edwin Jackson, John Lannan, Ross Detwiler, Tom Gorzelanny, Tyler Clippard and Brad Lidge chief among them.
A less-prominent name, though, who caught manager Davey Johnson's eye was reliever Ryan Mattheus, who was dialing things up a notch during his throwing session.
"One of the guys who was very impressive today, and I like him a lot, is Mattheus," Johnson said. "Mattheus was flat-out throwing the heck out of the ball. I had to tell him, I said: 'Take it easy.'"
Johnson asked Mattheus when he started throwing this winter, figuring the answer would be January. Mattheus replied: "No, December."
Perhaps the 28-year-old right-hander, sensing the competition he faces this spring to crack the Nationals' bullpen, is a bit extra motivated toRead more »
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Roark makes emergency start vs. Astros
- Fister scratched from start with elbow inflammation
- Doug Flutie took batting practice at Nats spring training (VIDEO)
- Marlins complain about Red Sox spring lineup, get apology
- Dr. Jobe's impact on baseball was immeasurable
- Zimmermann throws three scoreless in Nats' 3-2 loss
- Zimmermann squares off with Braves again
- 2014 Washington Nationals fantasy baseball preview
- Phillies Cole Hamels suffers setback, April looks doubtful
- Projecting Nats' roster midway through spring