Feb 22, 2012, 11:31 PM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
2011 draft pick Matt Purke throws during his bullpen session today.
VIERA, Fla. — Day 2 of formal workouts featured a host of prominent pitchers in the bullpen: Jordan Zimmermann, Edwin Jackson, John Lannan, Ross Detwiler, Tom Gorzelanny, Tyler Clippard and Brad Lidge chief among them.
A less-prominent name, though, who caught manager Davey Johnson's eye was reliever Ryan Mattheus, who was dialing things up a notch during his throwing session.
"One of the guys who was very impressive today, and I like him a lot, is Mattheus," Johnson said. "Mattheus was flat-out throwing the heck out of the ball. I had to tell him, I said: 'Take it easy.'"
Johnson asked Mattheus when he started throwing this winter, figuring the answer would be January. Mattheus replied: "No, December."
Perhaps the 28-year-old right-hander, sensing the competition he faces this spring to crack the Nationals' bullpen, is a bit extra motivated toRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
WED: Diamondbacks at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
THU: Diamondbacks at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
FRI: Giants at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Giants at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Giants at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Strasburg gives Nats 'what the doctor ordered'
- Strasburg tames Diamondbacks in 8-1 victory
- Gonzalez on the Nats' rotation: 'I want to catch up' (VIDEO)
- Nats' McLouth to have shoulder surgery, out for season
- LaRoche, Desmond and Fister take on the ice bucket (VIDEO)
- Strasburg, Nationals go for eighth straight win against Arizona
- State of the Nationals' bullpen: Exhausted
- Around the NL East: Are the Marlins legit contenders?
- LaRoche finally gets to savor first walk-off homer
- Nats beat Diamondbacks in third straight walk-off win