Feb 22, 2012, 11:31 PM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
2011 draft pick Matt Purke throws during his bullpen session today.
VIERA, Fla. — Day 2 of formal workouts featured a host of prominent pitchers in the bullpen: Jordan Zimmermann, Edwin Jackson, John Lannan, Ross Detwiler, Tom Gorzelanny, Tyler Clippard and Brad Lidge chief among them.
A less-prominent name, though, who caught manager Davey Johnson's eye was reliever Ryan Mattheus, who was dialing things up a notch during his throwing session.
"One of the guys who was very impressive today, and I like him a lot, is Mattheus," Johnson said. "Mattheus was flat-out throwing the heck out of the ball. I had to tell him, I said: 'Take it easy.'"
Johnson asked Mattheus when he started throwing this winter, figuring the answer would be January. Mattheus replied: "No, December."
Perhaps the 28-year-old right-hander, sensing the competition he faces this spring to crack the Nationals' bullpen, is a bit extra motivated toRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
FRI: Nats at Mariners, 10:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Mariners, 9:10 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Mariners, 4:10 p.m.
MON: Nats at Dodgers, 8:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Dodgers, 10:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Dodgers, 4:10 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- MLB Power Rankings: L.A. Angels flying high
- Mariners will have familiar face as manager vs. Nats this weekend
- Nats extend deal with Auburn Doubledays of NYP League
- Baseball in the District - MLB radio's Casey Stern & Todd Dybas
- Reason to worry about Nats after 3-game sweep?
- Back-to-back struggles by Fister surprise Nats
- Phillies sweep red-hot Nationals
- LIVE THREAD: Nationals, Fister face Phillies on the road
- LaRoche confident back issue won't linger
- Can Doug Fister prevent Phillies from sweeping Nationals?