Feb 22, 2012, 5:30 PM EST
Associated Press file photo
Ryan Zimmerman doesn't want to negotiate a contract once camp officially opens.
VIERA, Fla. — Ryan Zimmerman's agent was at the Nationals workout this morning and is expected to meet with general manager Mike Rizzo in the next few days to pick up negotiations on a long-term contract extension.
Brodie Van Wagenen, who represents Zimmerman along with several other Nationals players including John Lannan and Drew Storen, is making his annual tour of spring training facilities to visit his clients. But the Zimmerman contract remains a top priority both for him and for the franchise.
Van Wagenen declined to comment on the negotiations but indicated he's likely to have an update on the situation in the next day or two.
Though Zimmerman has two years remaining on his current $45 million deal, both he and the club have expressed an interest to work out a long-term extension for more than a year now. Zimmerman has also said he won't negotiate once spring training officially opens for allRead more »
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Kansas City Royals
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Will Michael Taylor become an everyday outfielder?
- Dusty Baker on Nationals: "Why not now, and why not me?"
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Houston Astros
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Can Tanner Roark bounce back as a starter?
- Craig Stammen signs minor league deal with Cleveland
- Report: Tyler Clippard signs deal with NL West club
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Los Angeles Dodgers
- Bryce Harper shows off Redskins hat en route to Super Bowl
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Can Joe Ross take the next step?