Feb 22, 2012, 5:30 PM EDT
Associated Press file photo
Ryan Zimmerman doesn't want to negotiate a contract once camp officially opens.
VIERA, Fla. — Ryan Zimmerman's agent was at the Nationals workout this morning and is expected to meet with general manager Mike Rizzo in the next few days to pick up negotiations on a long-term contract extension.
Brodie Van Wagenen, who represents Zimmerman along with several other Nationals players including John Lannan and Drew Storen, is making his annual tour of spring training facilities to visit his clients. But the Zimmerman contract remains a top priority both for him and for the franchise.
Van Wagenen declined to comment on the negotiations but indicated he's likely to have an update on the situation in the next day or two.
Though Zimmerman has two years remaining on his current $45 million deal, both he and the club have expressed an interest to work out a long-term extension for more than a year now. Zimmerman has also said he won't negotiate once spring training officially opens for allRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
WED: Nats at Dodgers, 3:10 p.m.
FRI: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Phillies at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Phillies at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Braves at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
TUE: Braves at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals turn sloppy in loss to Kershaw, L.A.
- Nats' minor league affiliate playoff schedules released
- Fister faces Kershaw in marquee matchup
- Former Nats slugger Dunn to retire; will he finally make playoffs?
- Bovada sportsbook favors Dodgers over Nats for World Series
- Braves will start construction of new Cobb County stadium soon
- Nationals' home run barrage has been balanced
- Around the NL East: Braves still alive for playoff berth
- Span helps lift Nats past Dodgers (VIDEO)
- Nationals hold on to beat Dodgers, open big series with win