Feb 23, 2012, 9:05 PM EST
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Tony Beasley gives Anthony Rendon instructions on playing second base.
Wanting to prepare themselves in case of injuries, the Nationals plan to have several of their infielders see action at multiple positions during camp and during games once the Grapefruit League opens next weekend.
Perhaps the most intriguing position switch would be Espinosa sliding over from second base to shortstop. The 24-year-old was a top prospect at shortstop at Long Beach State and during his climb up the ladder in the Nationals' farm system. But with Ian Desmond already holding the starting job at the big-league level, Espinosa moved to second base shortly before making his major-league debut in Sept. 2010 and has remained there ever since.
Some have long wondered whether Espinosa would actually be a better defensive shortstop than Desmond, who committed 34 errors as a rookie in 2010 and then 23 more last season. Manager Davey Johnson,Read more »
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- With Zimmermann gone, what happens to Nats rotation?
- Jordan Zimmermann introduced by Detroit Tigers
- Report: Marlins could hire Barry Bonds to coaching staff
- Zimmermann agreed to a surprising contract with Detroit
- Report: Nats, Mets and Braves all chasing two-time All-Star
- Appreciating Jordan Zimmermann’s Nationals career
- PHOTOS: Zimmermann’s Nats career through the years
- Did Zimmermann sign with Tigers at a discount?
- Jordan Zimmermann signs free agent deal with Tigers
- Report: Zimmermann in serious talks with AL team