Feb 23, 2012, 9:05 PM EST
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Tony Beasley gives Anthony Rendon instructions on playing second base.
Wanting to prepare themselves in case of injuries, the Nationals plan to have several of their infielders see action at multiple positions during camp and during games once the Grapefruit League opens next weekend.
Perhaps the most intriguing position switch would be Espinosa sliding over from second base to shortstop. The 24-year-old was a top prospect at shortstop at Long Beach State and during his climb up the ladder in the Nationals' farm system. But with Ian Desmond already holding the starting job at the big-league level, Espinosa moved to second base shortly before making his major-league debut in Sept. 2010 and has remained there ever since.
Some have long wondered whether Espinosa would actually be a better defensive shortstop than Desmond, who committed 34 errors as a rookie in 2010 and then 23 more last season. Manager Davey Johnson,Read more »
COUNTDOWN TO OPENING DAY
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Braves' starter to see Dr. James Andrews about injury
- New addition scratched from Nationals debut
- Scherzer debuts as Nats open exhibition play
- Mets' Wheeler: 'I guarantee you we all saw what Bryce Harper said'
- After a trying year, Gwynn Jr. tries to come back
- Nationals players excited to see pitching staff in action
- WATCH: Harper faces Strasburg for first time
- Werth hits off tee for first time since surgery
- Matt Harvey expected to make much-awaited return against Nats
- Ankiel starts new chapter as life skills coordinator