Feb 23, 2012, 7:23 PM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Chien-Ming Wang throws in the bullpen with pitching coach Steve McCatty Tuesday.
VIERA, Fla. — Though his surgically repaired shoulder is healed and he's experienced no issues since returning to the big leagues last summer, Chien-Ming Wang is taking things a bit easier than his pitching teammates this spring as the Nationals use extra precautions with the veteran right-hander.
Wang, who threw his first bullpen session of camp Tuesday, would normally have returned to the mound today with everyone else from his throwing group. But in consultation with pitching coach Steve McCatty and manager Davey Johnson, Wang pushed back his session til tomorrow and will proceed throwing on a three-day schedule as opposed to the every-other-day schedule the rest of the staff follows.
Wang said the extra rest should be helpful after spending two seasons recovering from major shoulder surgery and experiencing more problems when he attempted to throw every other day.
"Last year spring training … my arm was stiff," he said.
Wang reiterated that his shoulder "feels good, no problems," and that he emerged from Tuesday's bullpen session with no pain or soreness.Read more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
WED: Nats at Phillies, 7:35 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Mariners, 10:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Mariners, 9:10 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Mariners, 4:10 p.m.
MON: Nats at Dodgers, 8:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Dodgers, 10:10 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals lament close call in loss to Phillies
- Nats struggle early, lose in controversial fashion to Phillies
- LaRoche gets rare night off with tight back
- Gonzalez faces Hamels in showdown of southpaws
- Nats' Triple-A affiliate Syracuse raking in postseason awards
- A primer on postseason roster eligibility rules
- Around the NL East: Stanton making strong push for NL MVP
- Nationals can't pull off dramatic rally this time
- Nats' momentum stalls vs. Phillies in first game of long road trip
- Cabrera out of lineup, but not seriously injured