Feb 23, 2012, 7:23 PM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Chien-Ming Wang throws in the bullpen with pitching coach Steve McCatty Tuesday.
VIERA, Fla. — Though his surgically repaired shoulder is healed and he's experienced no issues since returning to the big leagues last summer, Chien-Ming Wang is taking things a bit easier than his pitching teammates this spring as the Nationals use extra precautions with the veteran right-hander.
Wang, who threw his first bullpen session of camp Tuesday, would normally have returned to the mound today with everyone else from his throwing group. But in consultation with pitching coach Steve McCatty and manager Davey Johnson, Wang pushed back his session til tomorrow and will proceed throwing on a three-day schedule as opposed to the every-other-day schedule the rest of the staff follows.
Wang said the extra rest should be helpful after spending two seasons recovering from major shoulder surgery and experiencing more problems when he attempted to throw every other day.
"Last year spring training … my arm was stiff," he said.
Wang reiterated that his shoulder "feels good, no problems," and that he emerged from Tuesday's bullpen session with no pain or soreness.Read more »
COUNTDOWN TO OPENING DAY
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Harper back in lineup as Nats face Cards
- Nats make 6 cuts as roster begins to take shape
- Forbes: Nats nearly doubled in franchise value from 2014 to 2015
- Gonzalez settles down, with help from Scherzer
- Former Nats pitcher earns rotation spot with Texas Rangers
- Ian Desmond ranks highly among shortstops, according to ESPN
- Gio Gonzalez faces Mets in Viera
- Harper sidelined as Nats' injuries continue to mount
- Who should Nats' tab as Rendon's fill-in?
- Podcast: 'Baseball in the District' - Mark Zuckerman & Marc Carig