Feb 23, 2012, 7:23 PM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Chien-Ming Wang throws in the bullpen with pitching coach Steve McCatty Tuesday.
VIERA, Fla. — Though his surgically repaired shoulder is healed and he's experienced no issues since returning to the big leagues last summer, Chien-Ming Wang is taking things a bit easier than his pitching teammates this spring as the Nationals use extra precautions with the veteran right-hander.
Wang, who threw his first bullpen session of camp Tuesday, would normally have returned to the mound today with everyone else from his throwing group. But in consultation with pitching coach Steve McCatty and manager Davey Johnson, Wang pushed back his session til tomorrow and will proceed throwing on a three-day schedule as opposed to the every-other-day schedule the rest of the staff follows.
Wang said the extra rest should be helpful after spending two seasons recovering from major shoulder surgery and experiencing more problems when he attempted to throw every other day.
"Last year spring training … my arm was stiff," he said.
Wang reiterated that his shoulder "feels good, no problems," and that he emerged from Tuesday's bullpen session with no pain or soreness.Read more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
SAT: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SUN: Phillies at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Orioles at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
TUE: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
THU: Mets at Nats, 12:35 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Braves 7:35 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Hard-hit balls equal hard-luck loss for Nationals
- Fister, Nationals hard-luck losers in pitchers duel
- Asdrubal Cabrera joins Nats after trade, starts at second base
- Nationals send slumping Barrett to AAA
- Asdrubal Cabrera makes his debut
- Nats activate Asdrubal Cabrera, option Aaron Barrett
- MLB Power Rankings: Deadline shakeup in the AL
- Nationals bullpen in surprising rut
- Gio Gonzalez stumbles again in Nats' 10-4 loss to Phillies
- Pitchers' duel becomes battle of bullpens in Nationals 10-4 loss